• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

ADSL Question

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ADSL Question

just ordered ADSL for me little house on the prairie, luckily it's within reach of the ADSL station.

The service will be:

maximum speed 4096/256 kb/s

as far as I understand that's max 4096 down and 256 up

for people used to working from home (I guess with a VPN client), is 256kb/s (max) up speed good enough or should I find a service offering a faster up speed ?

Thanks,

Milan.

It also depends on the contention ratio, i.e. (AIUI) how many other people are sharing, or potentially can share, your link down at the exchange. For a typical domestic line this is 50 or 30, but the smaller the better.
    Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

UK ADSL seems to be stuck on 256K uploads despite the increases in download speeds. I don't think any of the BT based services offer any different.

It depends what you're doing. If you copy a large file one way it will be noticeably faster than copying it the other way, but for most things latency is what counts.
      Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

the service is from 02

it is a 1:50 aggregation

uploading files... I will more be working with the vpn client on the command line of the customer's servers and the main copying will be from one unix host to another with the interface being the vpnclient - what I mean is I won't so much be phyisically uploading files but more using the destination unix command line to move files around between their systems

256kbs might be good enough

the connection can be increased to 8mbit down and 512 up but that is about 60 euros a month

maybe best start with the 4mbit/256 and increase if necessary ?

thanks for the advice

Milan.

Comment

Originally posted by milanbenes
          uploading files... I will more be working with the vpn client on the command line of the customer's servers and the main copying will be from one unix host to another with the interface being the vpnclient - what I mean is I won't so much be phyisically uploading files but more using the destination unix command line to move files around between their systems
          If that's what you're doing, I think a 300 baud modem would be fine.
          Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

just ordered ADSL for me little house on the prairie, luckily it's within reach of the ADSL station.

The service will be:

maximum speed 4096/256 kb/s

as far as I understand that's max 4096 down and 256 up

for people used to working from home (I guess with a VPN client), is 256kb/s (max) up speed good enough or should I find a service offering a faster up speed ?

Thanks,

Milan.
            I cry everytime someone in the country get a higher speed connection than the lousy 512K I get. Even on Be I can only get 1M. And I live on the edge of town so I'm hardly in the sticks.
            McCoy: "Medical men are trained in logic."
            Spock: "Trained? Judging from you, I would have guessed it was trial and error."

Comment

It depends in your next door neighbour runs SKA or not...

Comment

Originally posted by AtW
                It depends in your next door neighbour runs SKA or not...
                If your client is anything like the one i'm working for your home connection will be faster than their LAN!

Comment

Originally posted by ~Craig~
                  If your client is anything like the one i'm working for your home connection will be faster than their LAN!
                  I have 3 connections with total capacity of 25 Mbits down and over 2 Mbits up...

Comment

LilElvis,

this house is in the sticks in CZ !

Anyway folks, using a vpn client does the membership think 256kb/s UP will be good enough for ssh to remote Unix servers to perform sys admin work ?

Milan.

Comment

Working...
                    X