• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Owners flood the market in panic to beat Home Information Packs

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

By BECKY BARROW - More by this author » Last updated at 00:51am on 15th May 2007

HIPs could do real damage to the housing market, critics have warned
    Most popular stories

Homeowners gripped by "panic" are rushing to sell their homes before Home Information Packs are introduced.

The Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors said yesterday that there has been a surge in the number of homeowners desperate to beat the June 1 deadline.

Those who put their property on the market before the deadline do not need one of the much-criticised packs, which will cost anything between £300 and £1,000. After this date they could face prosecution if they fail to supply one to buyers.

Yesterday, in a desperate attempt to block the plans, the institution launched a judicial review.

The Government says the packs will speed up the housebuying process and end gazumping, but critics believe they will slow down housebuying and increase red tape.

The packs must include a host of details about the sale including title deeds, planning searches, whether the property is leasehold or freehold and whether it is being sold with vacant possession.

The most controversial part, however, is the Energy Performance Certificate. It will give a fridge-style green rating to the property, but there are fears that there will not be enough qualified "domestic energy assessors" to produce the certificates.

The number of homes coming up for sale has risen for the first time since November, according to the institution's monthly survey. In London, the research shows the first rise for two years.

In a report by the institution on the impact of the packs, Mark Hunter, from the estate agents Grice & Hunter, said: "Panic is starting to spread among sellers as they realise the full implications of the ill-conceived HIPs." He fears that the market is "at serious risk of major destabilisation" if the introduction is not delayed. (AtW's comment: with price inflation as it is being ridiculous the things can only become better)

Edward Waterson, from the chartered surveyors Cater Jonas, warned: "We expect mayhem on 1 June."

There are fears of a "feast and famine" as the recent stampede of sellers dries up after June 1.

Tomorrow, the Tories will mount a last-ditch attempt in the Commons to have the packs scheme thrown out.

This is the first time in its 139-year history that the institution, which has a Royal Charter to act in the public interest, has sought a judicial review.

It will prompt a High Court battle between institution and the Government, which lawyers have requested must take place as a matter of urgency.

If successful, it could force the Government into an embarrassing U-turn in which it would have to scrap, or radically change, the packs scheme.

Director Steven Gould said: "It is a shame that it has come to this, but the Government has left us with no choice.

"We do not believe that the way that they are implementing HIPs is in the public interest."

However, a spokesman for the Department for Communities and Local Government said: "This challenge is groundless, and we will proceed as planned with the packs being introduced on June 1.

"It is a shocking example of a vested interest wanting to water down important environmental information."

------------

It cracks me up seeing house owners who own houses on average worth £200k, with price going up like £2k per month or more, and then having them complain about things like cost of this pack estimated to be £300-500, or even £1000: the packs make sense - do it once rather than do it for everyone who wishes to sell, I presume whoever buys house will inherit the pack, so resale will be easy: this would sure cut transactional costs of selling house and lawyers/agents are not happy, but who the **** cares if those parasites are happy or not apart from them?

Really quite annoying, 'cause I think the market has peaked and have put a good few of mine in the UK up for sale yesterday. Looks like everyone else thought the same towards the end of the last week.
    Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
    threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Started by AtW, answered by Threaded. I knew I shouldn't have.

but since I'm here: the packs do not necessarily contain anything you would need. They are not, contrary to the smokescreen coming from the gravy train, a useful set of data that otherwise each prospective buyer would have to pay for anyway.

And if you sell your house after 1 year, you need to get a new pack. The old one won't do.
      Last edited by Euro-commuter; 15 May 2007, 12:15.
      God made men. Sam Colt made them equal.

Comment

Originally posted by Euro-commuter
        And if you sell your house after 1 year, you need to get a new pack. The old one won't do.
        Now that's a bit sh1t - these packs should have been valid for 5-10 years unless there are some structural changes to the house: looks like just like poll tax which was right in principle, implemention of this is screwed.

Comment

I think for a lot of people it is the hassle of getting a HIP as opposed to the cost of it - it's just another (un-necessary) hurdle which extends the house buying/selling process.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW
            Now that's a bit sh1t - these packs should have been valid for 5-10 years unless there are some structural changes to the house: looks like just like poll tax which was right in principle, implemention of this is screwed.
            It would be right in principle if it were a full survey, but it isn't. It compares to what the spotty kid from the estate agent does on his clipboard on a first visit, plus an "energy rating", ha ha. Double glazing, tick. Boiler lagged, tick. Loft insulated, tick. Call it grade B (better not say A just in case it turns out to be crap). Seven hundred pounds please.
            God made men. Sam Colt made them equal.

Comment

Originally posted by Euro-commuter
              It would be right in principle if it were a full survey, but it isn't. It compares to what the spotty kid from the estate agent does on his clipboard on a first visit, plus an "energy rating", ha ha. Double glazing, tick. Boiler lagged, tick. Loft insulated, tick. Call it grade B (better not say A just in case it turns out to be crap). Seven hundred pounds please.
              It was supposed to have a full legally binding survey in there but the people with vested interests in maintaining the status quo managed to get that kicked out. With no survey its a waste of space, I think our soon to be glorious leader mentioned scrapping it this morning. With a properly implemented HIP it would of been a lot easier to buy and sell without EAs and solicitors.

Comment

The Scottish system is best. You say you want it, you have to buy it. End of story. No problems with the chain of buyers collapsing, no pulling out, no gazumping.
                Listen to my last album on Spotify

Comment

Originally posted by AtW
                  Those who put their property on the market before the deadline do not need one of the much-criticised packs
                  Hang on, if that is the only criterion to avoid needing one of the packs, how come everyone in the country doesn't "put their house on the market" before the deadline? After all, they're not obliged to accept any offers. Hmm, I think I'll phone an estate agent later and get my place "on the market".
                  Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot
                    Hang on, if that is the only criterion to avoid needing one of the packs, how come everyone in the country doesn't "put their house on the market" before the deadline? After all, they're not obliged to accept any offers. Hmm, I think I'll phone an estate agent later and get my place "on the market".
                    The exemption only lasts until the end of the year.

Comment

Working...
                    X