• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Brown will build out the bubble

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brown will build out the bubble

GORDON Brown is ready to launch a new era of council house building when he takes over as Prime Minister.
    As a first step, Housing Minister Yvette Cooper revealed yesterday that rules stopping town halls building thousands of desperately needed properties are to be relaxed.
    Chancellor promises 100,000 low-emission homes
    Gordon Brown promised today to launch a drive to build more houses across the country when he becomes Prime Minister.
    GORDON Brown yesterday pledged a new direction for Britain
    The crisis in housing
    A HUGE programme of house-building is a pledge Mr Brown hopes will appeal especially to young home-buyers.
    He wants to see many more environmentally friendly and affordable properties.
    Tough borrowing rules stopping town halls building a new generation of council homes are expected to be relaxed.
    More part-ownership homes are expected to be built for key workers such as nurses.
    One report says without urgent action the number of people in poor accommodation and waiting for a home will rise to two million by 2010.
    Labour fear housing shortages could become a major issue at the 2009 general election, costing them more than a dozen seats.
    Clearly, the more houses he builds, the more pressure is taken off house prices. I don't really think that people who have bet on continually rising house prices are really part of Brown's core constituency.
    God made men. Sam Colt made them equal.

Low emission homes? Does that mean a council house with no central heating? Are we back to terraces of two-up two-downs?

Older and ...well, just older!!

Comment

Originally posted by Euro-commuter
      I don't really think that people who have bet on continually rising house prices are really part of Brown's core constituency.
      Don't worry - this is just a promise that won't be kept.

Comment

Gordon just gets better and better

at last some common sense

the country needs hundreds of thousands of new homes

selling the council house stock in the thatcher years boosted the economy but didn't help anybody wanting a house as we see now

I have to say, Gordon's economic miracle, the man just delivers more and more common sense

good on him and long may it last, think of all the jobs the house building will create

Milan.

Comment

Make it like in America - use lots of caravans, I think about 10% of US population lives in them, this is around 30 mln people.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW
            Make it like in America - use lots of caravans, I think about 10% of US population lives in them, this is around 30 mln people.
            That's a hell of a lot of Trailer Trash.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW
              Quite a few oldies do it here. Flog the house and get a big static in a nice spot and then go on lots of holidays. On my Mum and Dad's site they close over xmas to satisfy requirements that its not a permanent home and everyone goes off to Spain for a few weeks.

Comment

Originally posted by Euro-commuter
                I don't really think that people who have bet on continually rising house prices are really part of Brown's core constituency.
                Poles are. 100,000 new homes could be just enough to house the Poles who came here to live last year.

Comment

Originally posted by wendigo100
                  Poles are. 100,000 new homes could be just enough to house the Poles who came here to live last year.
                  wendigo100 at it again

Dude, Poles are so poor they have to sleep in sleeping bags in Hyde Park - they (and by that I mean 95% of them) would never have enough money to afford a house in this country, at best they will rent and in this case they will rent a room - just like I did when I started, and I was in good position - many immigrants actually share rooms, and this is not limited to just 2 people per room either.

House prices raise because way too many think this is acceptable, so sellers act as such and stupid buyers buy this bluff - if 50% of buyers refused to buy new house for 1-2 years then sellers would have to budge.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW
                    wendigo100 at it again

Dude, Poles are so poor they have to sleep in sleeping bags in Hyde Park - they (and by that I mean 95% of them) would never have enough money to afford a house in this country, at best they will rent and in this case they will rent a room - just like I did when I started, and I was in good position - many immigrants actually share rooms, and this is not limited to just 2 people per room either.

House prices raise because way too many think this is acceptable, so sellers act as such and stupid buyers buy this bluff - if 50% of buyers refused to buy new house for 1-2 years then sellers would have to budge.
                    No-one has ever answered the question ..., if we have a housing shortage why are rents not going up?
                    The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

Working...
                    X