• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Ipod music via laptop speakers

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ipod music via laptop speakers

Does anyone know if it is possible to connect my ipod to my laptop and then hear my music via the laptops in-built speakers.

I'm fairly sure it isn't possible as the laptop obviously has an in-built sound card but thought I'd ask in case someone knew of another way.

i.e. Is there a custom cable I can purchase?

Has your laptop got a line in? Can't you just headphone out of the iPod to the line in (or the mic in) of the laptop soundcard with a standard 3.5m double ended cable?

Comment

Originally posted by chubba
      Has your laptop got a line in? Can't you just headphone out of the iPod to the line in (or the mic in) of the laptop soundcard with a standard 3.5m double ended cable?
      That's what I thought, but when I tried no joy - it was the mic in socket I tried.

Comment

That should work, but you need some software to "activate" the line in; something like Cool Edit Pro should do it..............

Comment

Or in the sound card set up in control panel isn't there something to test the mic? This activates the hardware. Otherwise Cool Edit Pro is a wicked suggestion!

Comment

Thanks for the tips fellas.

I checked the mic properties via control panel and couldn't really see anything in there to 'activate' it - but it was late last night so will check again tonight.

Thanks for the tip re: Cool Edit Pro - quick searchy shows it is now called Adobe Audition (http://tinyurl.com/mopd).

Was hoping could get away with not having to spend any/little money to get this working.

Any sugestions for alternative (free) s/w - needs to be Vista Ready!

Comment

Why not just plug the ipod in via USB and use software to play music off it's drive? A software DAC would probably be better than the ipod's one anyway!

Comment

[QUOTE=Clippy]Does anyone know if it is possible to connect my ipod to my laptop and then hear my music via the laptops in-built speakers.QUOTE]

It is possible. Plug in iPod which activates iTunes, select the music folder of your iPod device and play....

Comment

Apologies, should have clarified - iTunes is not installed on my laptop (it's on my desktop PC at home).

Would rather not install it on the laptop.

Comment

Try yamipod or similar.
                    (I use anapod explorer, but that's not free.)

Comment

Working...
                    X