• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Finishing off cat5 cables

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Finishing off cat5 cables

Morning Team,

how's it going, good, right, let's get down to beeskneees

My little house on the prairie has two cat5 cables in every room returning to a central point like a star network.

Current status just the bare cables are hanging out of unfinished plastic sockets in each room.

Now the question,

can I buy the tools, crimpers and splicers I guess, to finish off the cables and put all of the rj45 connectors on the end ? If yes, how easy is it, 'cos as I have seen there are eight small cables in cat5 and where can I buy the tools ?

Thanks,

Milan.

Originally posted by milanbenes
    Morning Team,

My little house on the prairie has two cat5 cables in every room returning to a central point like a star network.

Current status just the bare cables are hanging out of unfinished plastic sockets in each room.

Now the question,

can I buy the tools, crimpers and splicers I guess, to finish off the cables and put all of the rj45 connectors on the end ? If yes, how easy is it, 'cos as I have seen there are eight small cables in cat5 and where can I buy the tools ?

Thanks,

Milan.
    You obviously need to know the order the cables go in and you need to ensure that the 8 wires are an even length so they touch the contacts when you feed them into the RJ45 connector. They may look as they are touching, but quite often are not if you haven't cut the wires properly. You can get crimpers etc from PCworld, but better to go online. Also maybe get a cable tester - £10. Why do u have network points in all your rooms, what about wireless?

Comment

Morning Team,

Now the question,

Thanks,

Milan.
      Dead easy mate. You can buy the sockets and the tool at any decent supplier, even maplins. The connectors should come with a colour coded back plate and the tool is just a push fit which also trims the ends to length. I used my local CEF. I also used a modular system with click in blocks. Ethernet/phone/digital TV/analogue TV connectors mix and match into single, double and quad plates.
      I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
      Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

Hi XTC,

thanks for your reply.

Ok, I will look online for a crimping set and a tester, for sure buying that stuff and doing it myself will be cheaper than paying someone.

Why two network cables in every room and not wireless,

a, I don't trust wireless and the way my house is built it might not travel around very well especially between floors

b, the house is a new build and when there were only bare walls it didn't cost much for a man to spend a day running cables everywhere round the house

I will get a price for someone to finish the cabling but I'm interested to do it myself too and learn something.

I guess if I search online I am looking for a 'network cabling kit' ?

Milan.

Comment

Hope you've got good eyesight and not colour blind. I need a magnifying glass these days to make up cables.
          Me, me, me...

Comment

Yeah.

http://www.dooyoo.co.uk/network-acce...-crimping-kit/

Something like that.

Comment

Hi XTC,

thanks for your reply.

Ok, I will look online for a crimping set and a tester, for sure buying that stuff and doing it myself will be cheaper than paying someone.

Why two network cables in every room and not wireless,

a, I don't trust wireless and the way my house is built it might not travel around very well especially between floors

b, the house is a new build and when there were only bare walls it didn't cost much for a man to spend a day running cables everywhere round the house

I will get a price for someone to finish the cabling but I'm interested to do it myself too and learn something.

I guess if I search online I am looking for a 'network cabling kit' ?

Milan.
              As I said, it is easy.
              You want push fit sockets and one of these http://www.amazon.co.uk/KRONE-Type-P.../dp/B000Q84THG

See reply above.

BTW Wirless slows your network down. Why have high speed ADSL and then put it hrough a slow wireless net.

Smith and Wesson.

Comment

Originally posted by The Lone Gunman
                As I said, it is easy.
                You want push fit sockets and one of these http://www.amazon.co.uk/KRONE-Type-P.../dp/B000Q84THG

See reply above.

BTW Wirless slows your network down. Why have high speed ADSL and then put it hrough a slow wireless net.
                Yup get one of those, save yourself a lot of hassle and a lot of RJ45 plugs.

Comment

just tried to order that from the link and got this...

'*** We're sorry. This item can't be shipped to your selected destination. You may either change the shipping address or delete the item from your order by changing its quantity to 0 and clicking the update button below.'

Milan.

Comment

just tried to order that from the link and got this...

'*** We're sorry. This item can't be shipped to your selected destination. You may either change the shipping address or delete the item from your order by changing its quantity to 0 and clicking the update button below.'

Milan.
                    Other places sell them. I also did a quick search for the connectors. I didnt use this supplier, but they do show the range http://www.satcure.co.uk/accs/page15b.htm
                    If you click on the connector it shows an image of the back.

Smith and Wesson.

Comment

Working...
                    X