• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Satellite Multiswitch

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Satellite Multiswitch

Morning All,

anybody got any experience of having two sat dishes and connecting them to a satellite multi switch and then feeding the output down coax making it available in every room which has a coax output ?

Any tips where to start ?

Thanks,

Milan.

Well you don't want to start from there. I had that many years ago, used a design by Steve Ciarcia in Bytes Circuit Cellar. Is OK but found it a bit too limiting, cables everywhere, and upgrading was a pain.

Tried using them Philips TV extenders, but the microwave would blat the signal.

Now have a separate receiver for each of the 4 heads on the domestic dishes in a box and then send it out over the house LAN. Have little IR detectors to transfer the remotes signals back. Works for me.
    Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
    threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

this is the dilemma, house has two cat5's and two coax in every room, and was expecting to feed the sat tv down the coax from a sat multiswitch and then join the cat5 and the coax and into the tv's

so for a home media network you are saying I feed the satellite into cat5 network

oh dear looks like I need to do some more reading

well no rush

Milan.

Comment

'Are the dishes looking at different satellites?',

no, there are two because the design incorporates provision for high availability and disaster recovery

joking aside one will be for sky and one for local both have quad lnb's but don't get me wrong I don't know what I am talking about here

Milan in 'loads to learn' mode.

Comment

yes you're right the sky dish will be a big bugger, probably mounted on the ground too

my mrs is worried our place will look like the telecom tower !

Milan.

Comment

granted, there are however, ways to solve these issues

thanks for the reminder though

Milan.

Comment

Don't forget, regardless of the technical solution satellite telly is 99% tulipe. Unless you like continual re-runs of Dharma and Greg of course.

Comment

thanks, we don't watch much tv as it is, so this is not an urgent problem but I need to make sure I have planned for it and therefore how to integrate two dishes and feed them round the house

Milan.

Comment

Originally posted by Lucifer Box
                  Don't forget, regardless of the technical solution satellite telly is 99% tulipe. Unless you like continual re-runs of Dharma and Greg of course.
                  Yeah, I think her mums a fox.
                  Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
                  threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Originally posted by milanbenes
                    'Are the dishes looking at different satellites?',

no, there are two because the design incorporates provision for high availability and disaster recovery

joking aside one will be for sky and one for local both have quad lnb's but don't get me wrong I don't know what I am talking about here

Milan in 'loads to learn' mode.
                    To clarify - some of the most popular sats (e.g. Astra and Hotbird) are only a few degrees apart and so it's possible (and indeed common) to catch both on the same dish using the right kind of LNB. I've seen it done with 3 but don't quote me. IANASI.

Comment

Working...
                    X