• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Computer Wholesalers

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Computer Wholesalers

I'm looking to open a little Computer shop.

Anyone know of any good IT wholesalers ?

Cheers

what sort of things ?

Retail to the public has never seemed a good idea to me - margins too low and they just ask questions then buy from dell/dabs/et al. Although I suppose it should generally be payment up front rather than the 90 days some of my customers expect.

read cts, microscope, var, etc

Comment

shop

this post ain't much help...
      But I was also thinking of opening a shop selling PC bits but with same day installation within the M25 (as well as mailorder)... ie Get people (inc. myself) who know about PCs and how to ride a motorbike to ride to the place and whack it in their machines for 'em...
      thinking it would be good for small/medium businesses who have sacked all their IT staff and have run out of warantee or also people who host in datacentres who are far away from their machines.
      I'd be interested in any comments about this plan and help on doing market research and raising finance for such a plan.

No copying my idea.

Comment

Reasons

Okay here are my reasons..

I've got myself on a government perfered suppiers of Network/PC type work for local SME's who obtain part funding for the work.

I know who the other people are who complete quotes against me. They are mainly shops. So they can under quote for PC based kit.

Also as more & more business follows I require some offices to work from (Shop maybe (Make even more cash))

Comment

re:reasons

Problem with a shop is that people expect you to be there 9-5 which is a pain, plus high street rentals are heavy. Are you looking at getting a junior in to mind the place ?

I would try a small unit in a block of serviced offices (likely to be more secure as well if you have lots of kit in the office). Looks better to business customers, you can still try adds in the local paper for mail order stuff, etc.

Comment

advice

Mark,

Thanx for the advice, still need to find a supplier

Comment

supplier

Shop,

what of ?

basic PC's ?
              components ?
              Software ?
              all of the above ?

Comment

all

components & Software

Cheers

Comment

all

read cts, microscope, var, etc

CTS - Computer Trade Shopper has adds from distributors with price lists

microscope - covers reseller market - effectivly computer weekly for resellers

both published by Reed

The Var is a mag for Vars - I think it is published by vnu ?

Talk to disties. Computer 2000 etc

Margin on most components isnt great - unless you are doing big volume, then you will not save much on dabs prices.

Comment

try

Try:

www.mt-electronics.com

Cheap computer components....

Ask for Pete..

Comment

Working...
                    X