• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Contracting and the Way You Were Parented

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Contracting and the Way You Were Parented

Is there a connection????

Yeah my parents hired contractors to look after me

intresting concept though
    threenine.co.uk
    Cultivate, Develop & Sustain Innovation

Comment

Originally posted by Kyajae
      Is there a connection????
      Possibly. I come from a "broken home" ... make that two broken homes ... and when I started working the last thing I wanted was the insecure life of a contractor!

It was Thatcher who changed my outlook. I was made redundant from my permie career, along with millions of others in the eighties, which taught me that "jobs for life" were a thing of the past. Instead of moaning about it, I embraced the "get on your bike" attitude, which took a bit of getting used to but I'm feckin glad I did.

Comment

I'm nto sure - it could just be coincidence.

My dad worked his arse off for a copany for 30 years...never took a sick day, worked stupid hours for them on crap money...and they got rid of him without a second thought.

I never wanted to be a "company person" because of that.
        The pope is a tard.

Comment

Interesting idea, not sure if there is a connection though. I would say that you can normally tell if somebody is a contractor (or contractor material) or conversely a permie by talking to them for a few minutes.

Are they made or born?

I was lucky (in hindsight) that my first company attempted to s***t me and I learnt the valuable lesson of not trusting any company to look after you.

Comment

\i've only ever been a contractor and never had a permie job. My dad was a contractor in the oil industry. For me it was a choice I made before leaving uni.
            Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

Very stable background with two time serving government employee parents now smugly collecting their gold plated index linked early retirment pensions. The thought of serving a similar 40 year sentence disgusted me from an early age.

Can't beat you Tony, I've done a total of 3 years permie.
              Last edited by rootsnall; 18 May 2007, 08:58.

Comment

I'd say so. My Dad mostly worked as a salesman, but he had several goes at getting different business ideas going, all ultimately unsuccessful unfortunately, but he did okay for a number of years as a director of a company that he'd bought into in a management buy out. He was never a "get into a good firm and work your way up" type, and I'm exactly the same.

It's quite worrying just how much you turn into your Dad as you get older.
                Last edited by VectraMan; 18 May 2007, 09:38.
                Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan
                  It's quite worry just how much you turn into your Dad as you get older.
                  My dad was always a permy.

Comment

I'm just gutted that I worked 8 years as a permie before realising what an idiot I had been all those years. I was a SAP consultant in the late 90's earning £25k salary... when I could have had £500/day back then

Now I've lost my SAP skills but fortunately I'm doing OK for now. Wish I had gone SAP contracting back then and so I would still be in it.

My dad was also always a permie, but had the acumen to use his electrical technician skills to do some private work on the side - that's the only reason he made his money.

Comment

Working...
                    X