• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Well, It Seemed Like A Good Idea at the Time!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well, It Seemed Like A Good Idea at the Time!

Ever made a gaffe and had to use the well worn phrase "Well, It Seemed Like A Good Idea at the Time" as your defence?

I spent yesterday early evening trying to unblock a drain at the side of the house with a set of drain rods. My missus insisted we get a plumber but I was not going to pay extortionate call out fees for what should be a simple job. Needless to say, I managed to snap the drain rod and the drain was then blocked by the original offending object and the brush-end of the rod. I called a plumber who kindly sorted the whole thing out. It would have cost £80 to unblock the drain but the additional work for removing said drain rod propelled the cost to £140.

And when my missus insisted that I should have taken her advice in the first place, my response? "Well, It Seemed Like A Good Idea at the Time". She wasn't impressed.

Anyone else have a story to tell?

Originally posted by Kyajae
    Anyone else have a story to tell?
    Nothing as entertaining as that, no.

Comment

The thing to remember with drain rods is only ever only ever ever only twist in the locking direction.

There again I've not needed to use them for years. Last time was when I let a house out to a battered womens charity.
      Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
      threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Originally posted by Kyajae
        It would have cost £80 to unblock the drain but the additional work for removing said drain rod propelled the cost to £140.

You should have informed your misses that you earned that additional £60 in p*ss breaks alone yesterday, so if you want to play with your rods you should be allowed without question.
        And then smacked her on the ar*e and told her to go and get your supper ready

..or maybe thats just us Northern women again
        The pope is a tard.

Comment

[QUOTE=..or maybe thats just us Northern women again [/QUOTE]

Thanks Sal, I have heard that you northern girls do like it rough

Comment

Originally posted by SallyAnne
            You should have informed your misses that you earned that additional £60 in p*ss breaks alone yesterday, so if you want to play with your rods you should be allowed without question.
            And then smacked her on the ar*e and told her to go and get your supper ready

Comment

Originally posted by threaded
              The thing to remember with drain rods is only ever only ever ever only twist in the locking direction.

There again I've not needed to use them for years. Last time was when I let a house out to a battered womens charity.
              You seem scarily familiar with blocked drains, Threaded old boy. Maybe you need more fibre in your diet?

The vegetarian option.

Comment

Didnt Tony say 'I thought the invasion of Iraq was a good idea at the time?'

Whoops - we all make mistakes- mind you God did tell Georege W to invade so I guess that makes it all OK really.

Comment

Originally posted by wobbegong
                  You seem scarily familiar with blocked drains, Threaded old boy. Maybe you need more fibre in your diet?

I have a good few houses I rent out, buy them at auction and tend to do the 'make habitable' work on them myself. Now when houses have been repo'ed they don't tend to be much kop, and blocked drains is a usual, but I've found the elements from an electric cooker wrapped in oily rags under the floor boards waiting for the 'lectric to be switched back on more than once. And people wonder why repo'ed houses go so cheap...

Against my better judgment I got talked into renting that one out to the battered wives by my vicar, IIRC, well meaning chap, but not quite of this world if you know what I mean.

So I get quite enough fibre thank you very much.
                  Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
                  threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Originally posted by threaded
                    I have a good few houses I rent out, buy them at auction and tend to do the 'make habitable' work on them myself. Now when houses have been repo'ed they don't tend to be much kop, and blocked drains is a usual, but I've found the elements from an electric cooker wrapped in oily rags under the floor boards waiting for the 'lectric to be switched back on more than once. And people wonder why repo'ed houses go so cheap...

Against my better judgment I got talked into renting that one out to the battered wives by my vicar, IIRC, well meaning chap, but not quite of this world if you know what I mean.

So I get quite enough fibre thank you very much.
                    Glad to hear it!

That business with the element wrapped in oily rags is a bit sinister, and "more than once" too!! How on earth did you find it, or do you just rip all the floor boards up as a matter of course?
                    The vegetarian option.

Comment

Working...
                    X