• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Watching freeview on PC via Digital TV adapter

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Watching freeview on PC via Digital TV adapter

Anyone done this yet? I've ordered a USB Digital TV receiver for my new PC... wonder if it'll be any good.

Can be very good if you have good software with it but the antennas are mostly worthless. Did you go for one of the newer ones with two antennas though, as they have much much better reception and can evade the need for a real antenna?

If you use it with Digiguide, MythTV etc you can record stuff off the EPG. Nice.

Comment

I got my internal TV Tuner to work via the analog TV aerial. The signal is really good and it's detected 67 channels (including some radio stations) via the auto-search.

I have a weird situation though where the software blacks out the screen when switching channels. The sound carries on playing but the picture is just a black screen. It's not the signal as I know it's strong enough and all I have to do is go into the tuner options and play around with meaningless settings, and it refreshes the picture and brings it back.

I say "meaningless" because it doesn't matter what I change, it's just as if the application refreshes it's display and suddenly the picture is back on.

Have you had any probs like this?

Comment

I'd try a different program if possible - I've heard of issues with direct x etc but I have no idea what to suggest. Have you tried MyTheatre? Also when you say 'analog TV aerial' is it for digital channels or analog ones? Also try ProgDVB and RitzDVB - you never know.

Comment

Originally posted by TazMaN
          Anyone done this yet? I've ordered a USB Digital TV receiver for my new PC... wonder if it'll be any good.
          2 inch USB and a 72 inch antenna
          "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by Zorba
            I'd try a different program if possible - I've heard of issues with direct x etc but I have no idea what to suggest. Have you tried MyTheatre? Also when you say 'analog TV aerial' is it for digital channels or analog ones? Also try ProgDVB and RitzDVB - you never know.
            I guess it could be a Vista thing along with the drivers for my tuner card being quite recently developed.

I'll try the other programs you mention and let you know, thanks.

Comment

I bougth a £100 PC card from Miglia in jan for my macBook Pro, its a DVB tuner for freeview, but London signals are utter pants without a roof aerial, never ever got any decent reception.

Since signed up with Virgin Media for their max BB and Max TV for £36 a month inclusive.

Using a DVB/Analogue TV card from Elgato now, £119 USB stick, its awesome.

Comment

For Macs, Elgato stuff is the best I've seen.

I haven't had a PC for a while now, but I did have some crappy software thing that I couldn't recommend.

Now, I have a Slingbox which is just brilliant. Can watch whatever Brit TV I feel like and when at home can pipe TV to anywhere in wireless range.

Picture isn't too bad either...
                ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Originally posted by Moscow Mule
                  For Macs, Elgato stuff is the best I've seen.

I haven't had a PC for a while now, but I did have some crappy software thing that I couldn't recommend.

Now, I have a Slingbox which is just brilliant. Can watch whatever Brit TV I feel like and when at home can pipe TV to anywhere in wireless range.

Picture isn't too bad either...
                  Good point. Just to add that Slingboxes work on PCs too, for anyone who comes across this thread later.

Comment

Working...
                  X