• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Taxman scratching around for more victims

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Taxman scratching around for more victims

Cricket stars face £50,000 tax bill over free tickets
    For years England's cricket stars have been handed complimentary tickets to give their friends and families. But now the taxman has them in his sights.

Andrew Flintoff, Monty Panesar, Steve Harmison and the rest of the squad are furious that they could be forced to pay up to £50,000 in backdated tax on the tickets.

The Inland Revenue is pressing for the complimentary tickets to be classed as 'benefits in kind' and so liable to tax at 40 per cent.

It is understood to be demanding payment backdated over several years.
    There wasn't much money in cricket until recently, so some of the older retired players will be getting a shock!

Still, it's only fair.

I did see another article on how the 40p/25p personal car use allowance was coming under threat... seems it will be modified to take account of the emissions & reduced accordingly

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.../nmotors19.xml

Only fair etc etc
    How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

Originally posted by Troll
      I did see another article on how the 40p/25p personal car use allowance was coming under threat... seems it will be modified to take account of the emissions & reduced accordingly

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.../nmotors19.xml

Only fair etc etc
      Is the Telegraph website down? I haven't been able to reach it this aft.
      Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Looks like it is down at the mo....obviously too much anti- establishment content & incurred the wrath of MI5
        How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

I read it earlier when the website was working. The article says they want to lower the 10,000 miles @ 40p/mile allowance to 6,000 miles. Also cars with high emissions (e.g. bands F & G) possibly get no 40p/mile allowance, just 25p. And as a token gesture, band A cars may get 50p/mile.

In other words, if you drive anything decent in the week you'll have to get a gutless piece of crap instead. Or one of these: http://www.goingreen.co.uk/

HTH
          Cats are evil.

Comment

Originally posted by swamp
            I read it earlier when the website was working. The article says they want to lower the 10,000 miles @ 40p/mile allowance to 6,000 miles. Also cars with high emissions (e.g. bands F & G) possibly get no 40p/mile allowance, just 25p. And as a token gesture, band A cars may get 50p/mile.

In other words, if you drive anything decent in the week you'll have to get a gutless piece of crap instead. Or one of these: http://www.goingreen.co.uk/

HTH
            The Gwiz would be no good for me - my clients site is over 160 miles away - I'd have to charge it at 4 service stations

Comment

Originally posted by fzbucks
              The Gwiz would be no good for me - my clients site is over 160 miles away - I'd have to charge it at 4 service stations
              Don't worry, before long the government will require you to have a travel warrant to go that far afield, and vrag naroda like you will not be allowed one.
              Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
              threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Working...
              X