• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

No choice...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No choice...

So, just had the phone call from Spring IT who are now picking up my contract (until now being going direct, but recent changes mean they are using Barclays preferred agency). Been on this gig for 6 months now, IR35 friendly contract, working practices, the whole shebang. Now I am being asked to go through a credit check, provide passport for ID, accept their contract (which I haven't seen but i suspect its fully perma-temp styleee).. and ultimately a drop in take home.

So to continue doing my good work, I either get myself inside IR35 and jump through various hoops I am being asked to... or walk. Thats rubbish but I suspect it happens every single day..

My work won't change, should I really put myself inside IR35 as a result pay up accordingly, or continue as usual....

Mondays suck.
    Last edited by mrdavies; 21 May 2007, 09:47. Reason: upadte
    mmmmm stella

The person you should be asking this is your manager.

If they have been engaging you direct up to now, there is no business reason why this shouldn't continue. If someone else has put this policy in place to the detriment of your manager, he should be fighting it.

tim

Comment

Originally posted by tim123
      The person you should be asking this is your manager.

If they have been engaging you direct up to now, there is no business reason why this shouldn't continue. If someone else has put this policy in place to the detriment of your manager, he should be fighting it.

tim
      Is there anyhting in your contract that allows them to do this during the period of the gig. If not, this seems like a breach.

Comment

Decided not to renew. Not my bag. Spring seemed quite surprised when i told them. I guess some will be happy to take it square in the @ss and sign the new contract. Not me squire

Looking forward to a bit of bench time, squirrelled enough away for a month or so off should I need it
        mmmmm stella

Comment

Originally posted by mrdavies
          Decided not to renew. Not my bag. Spring seemed quite surprised when i told them. I guess some will be happy to take it square in the @ss and sign the new contract. Not me squire

Looking forward to a bit of bench time, squirrelled enough away for a month or so off should I need it
          Well done ! It always confuses them when you walk away from a renewal. I used to have a 1 year limit but have gone a bit sensible with family in tow. It can come back to bite you with refs and I also got blackballed by a big consultancy for not renewing.

Comment

Originally posted by mrdavies

Good for you. I did exactly the same when Spring took over a contract from another agency a few years back (due to consolidation of preferred suppliers list by client). Tried negotiating changes to the contract but they didn't even bother to respond until the last minute and it was too late - a deliberate strategy to put the contractors on the spot. I walked but most signed.

I think Spring were quite surprised and more than a little pissed off!

Client staff on the ground were fine about - they didn't have any influence over the process at all (it came from "on high" in a big company) and I think they understood. They tried to re-hire for another project a few months later but since they were still tied into using the new "standard" contract and couldn't compensate financially for that, I had to decline.

Comment

Working...
            X