• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Working in Barcelona

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Working in Barcelona

I really would like to work in spain, specifically barcelona, anyone else done it?

Any tips/agency recommendations, etc..?

(Please, thanks.)

I did, years ago, during the run-up to the Olympics. Stayed in a place called Malgrat up/down the coast a little ways and commuted in by train. I remember the Siesta the most, 4 rush hours a day... And a road called the Diagonal, fantastic idea, every city should have one.
    Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
    threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

I'm originally from nearby Barcelona and worked a few years around there.
      Best job site is www.infojobs.es, although not many contracts listed. Another site is www.freelance.com, not many there either though.
      Agencies are not as common there as in the UK. Most companies post their positions themselves at the infojobs website.
      You can expect rates to be less than half of the UK, but of course it's a very fun place to spend a few months or years
      Spanish language knowledge is very important at the workplace, although you may get away with only english at some big multinationals.
      I can give you the details of my previous client there if you PM me, they had a network team...

Cheers

Comment

Thanks for the info girls will look into it some more....

Comment

Originally posted by NetwkSupport
          I really would like to work in spain, specifically barcelona, anyone else done it?

Any tips/agency recommendations, etc..?

(Please, thanks.)
          Permie or contractor?

I am from Barcelona. Lots of gigs for SAP folks.

OTOH, profiency in Spanish is usually a must.

Mark

Comment

Originally posted by markinbrussels
            Permie or contractor?

I am from Barcelona. Lots of gigs for SAP folks.

OTOH, profiency in Spanish is usually a must.

Mark
            Do you get any "Please excuse him, he's from Barcelona" remarks when you mess up?

Comment

Contract only really, im looking to live there for about 12 months.

I dont have very good spanish language skills atm so im going to brush up on that 1st....

Comment

I worked as a permy for a multinational for 3 years in Madrid - where English was the office language so my lack of Spanish wasnt a problem. I had a look round for contract opportunities while I was out there but they are pretty thin (unless you have SAP) and since hardly any Spanish can speak English you will need to be proficient in the language. Saying that, there are a few big multinationals out there.
                The mind is its own place, and in itself, can make a Heaven of Hell, a Hell of Heaven

Comment

Whilst visiting my dad in Spain I was talking to his Dutch neighbour who'd made his fortune in networking, apart from the big multi nationals he reckons a lot of medium size companies are about 10 years behind their rivals in the UK, France, Germany etc and the IT job market in Spain is about to take off in a big way and its easy to work 'on the black' as they call it out there.

Couple that with the supposed housing market slump on the Costa’s it could be an ideal way to slip comfortably into retirement?!
                  Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Originally posted by Schrodinger's Cat
                    Do you get any "Please excuse him, he's from Barcelona" remarks when you mess up?
                    No. When I mess up they always treat me as if I were an Englishman.

Actually there's a band called "I'm from Barcelona".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/I'm_from_Barcelona

I guess you wouldn't find a band called "I'm from Swindon", would ya?

Mark

Comment

Working...
                    X