• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Client offering permie role

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Client offering permie role

I've heard on the grapevine that my end client are putting the feelers out to see if any of the contractors on site would consider a permie position, though I don't know what package they will offer it's not likely to be great which puts me in an awkward position as the last time this happened I turned the job offer down and was off site within 2 weeks.

Anyone have any good experiences of this situation? Should I just accept the games up and start looking elsewhere or sit tight and hope they forget about the idea?
    Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

"We would like you to become a permie."

"WTF! That'd mean a drop in income!"

"We would like you to be motivated by something other than money."

threaded in "plagiarising Dilbert" mode.
    Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
    threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

people seem to think that offering holiday pay means greater security!!!

they fail to see that good contractors always factor such revenue loss in years forecast figures and that all jobs permanent or contract are open to the vagueries of open economy dynamics...
      --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SA - Is it like a dragons nostril?

Comment

my opinion is about the opportunity being offered... contracting has a shelf life (obvious exceptions based on niche skills)
        Make sure the permie role offered is offering more opportunity for future salary and happiness ... if not.. roll on brother!
        --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SA - Is it like a dragons nostril?

Comment

I see your point, some free courses for a year or two would come in handy, I just need a few more months to fill up the coffer's... but then don't you always!

It amazes me when some people don't get what contractors are all about, they often think you aspire to being a fully signed up employee and given half a chance you would jump at the opportunity... but then they find out how much you earn, the trouble is so do the people who hold the purse strings hence why I think this is now happening!

There are about 15 contractors on site and I don’t think any of us would want to go permie so as long some don't start going over to the dark side then hopefully they will forget about it, but the fact that questions are being asked does point to my days being numbered!

Anyone know what the actual cost of employing someone is? Its not just the salary but insurance, employers NI etc, It cant always be cheaper to employ someone instead of using a contractor even if he/she is on a much higher rate.
          Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Originally posted by gingerjedi
            I've heard on the grapevine that my end client are putting the feelers out to see if any of the contractors on site would consider a permie position, though I don't know what package they will offer it's not likely to be great which puts me in an awkward position as the last time this happened I turned the job offer down and was off site within 2 weeks.

Anyone have any good experiences of this situation? Should I just accept the games up and start looking elsewhere or sit tight and hope they forget about the idea?
            Ask for 80K + benefits + car. Otherwise, foggedabaudit.

Mark

Comment

Originally posted by markinbrussels
              Ask for 80K + benefits + car. Otherwise, foggedabaudit.

Mark
              and this has come from where ? I'd have to clear at least 100k into the personal account and I can't see a permi job going for that much dosh.....
              SA says;
              Well you looked so stylish I thought you batted for the other camp - thats like the ultimate compliment!

I couldn't imagine you ever having a hair out of place!

n5gooner is awarded +5 Xeno Geek Points.
              (whatever these are)

Comment

Working...
              X