• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The apostrophe ...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The apostrophe ...

...is never used to indicate a plural, FFS.

OK except plurals of lower case letters.
    Hard Brexit now!
    #prayfornodeal

Surely it covers the plural owners of plural objects, e.g. 'the students' grant cheques never lasted beyond the end of Freshers' Week'?

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru
      ...is never used to indicate a plural, FFS.

OK except plurals of lower case letters.
      Complete b0llox.

The apostrophe is used to denote possession by a singular noun, person, or a collection of nouns. It is also used to denote a merge (e.g. "It is" can also be "It's")

Comment

Originally posted by Kyajae
        Complete b0llox.

The apostrophe is used to denote possession by a singular noun, person, or a collection of nouns. It is also used to denote a merge (e.g. "It is" can also be "It's")
        And how do the above indicate plurals?
        Hard Brexit now!
        #prayfornodeal

Comment

Where does what you wrote contradict sasguru?

I think he's getting at incorrect plurals such as 'Christmas Tree's for sale here'.

Comment

Originally posted by Zorba
            Surely it covers the plural owners of plural objects, e.g. 'the students' grant cheques never lasted beyond the end of Freshers' Week'?
            Ah that's to indicate possessives (for want of a better word).
            Hard Brexit now!
            #prayfornodeal

Comment

I think he's getting at incorrect plurals such as 'Christmas Tree's for sale here'.
              Aye - but Kyajae has always been a cretin.
              Hard Brexit now!
              #prayfornodeal

Comment

Ok, what about "the boys' tree-house" i.e. the tree-house belonging to a number of boys as opposed to "the boy's tree-house" denoting the tree-house belonging to a single boy. The apostrophe in the former denotes the possessive plural.

Comment

Originally posted by Kyajae
                  Ok, what about "the boys' tree-house" i.e. the tree-house belonging to a number of boys as opposed to "the boy's tree-house" denoting the tree-house belonging to a single boy. The apostrophe in the former denotes the possessive plural.
                  See earlier. Do keep up.
                  Hard Brexit now!
                  #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru
                    See earlier. Do keep up.

Where's the flaw in the example I gave?

Comment

Working...
                    X