• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Preludes to perm. Employment.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Preludes to perm. Employment.

I’ve noticed there are lots of agents trying to push you into a permanent role , or contracts that are a prelude to perm employment . I am doing Windows Server stuff , which is really common, I guess with more specialized work this case might not be encountered that often.

Is this standard accross the IT landscape ? Do we just say yeah , yeah, yeah , I “might” go permanent later on , but later just try to get an extension.
    Last edited by 2uk; 21 May 2007, 23:28.

I have seen at least two fake jobserve ads where they try and get you interested in a perm role when you apply. Both were perl related.

Comment

I recently went for a contract with an "expectation to go perm at the end". The interview however, was equivalent to what you'd expect for a perm job. To start I had some lengthy technical interviews describing my previous and current projects with the team leads, and a practical coding test.

All this was fine, but then I had to meet the senior management which turned out to be another long interview. They seemed to want to know how I'd fit in to their corporate culture, and they didn't seem very happy about me being an "independent contractor". As the interview drew to a painful close, they passed time finding ways to criticise my previous work and projects.

I didn't get the role, and for once I was actually quite pleased at this. My only regret is losing a day and a half's rate from my previous contract to attend the interviews. And in future I simply won't bother with any contract to perm roles.
      Cats are evil.

Comment

It's normal in any industry. Agents are keen on it because they usually get more money.

Comment

Happening where I work as well.

Seems to be the next major shift in industry, to convert contractors to perm salaried employees, since they will be cheaper and just another bum on the seat. (which they are anyway, contractor or not)

Contracting is probably the worst thing to consider now for the newbies.

(The old hands won't notice any problems I'm sure)
          Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C.S. Lewis

Comment

Originally posted by Board Game Geek
            Happening where I work as well.

Seems to be the next major shift in industry, to convert contractors to perm salaried employees, since they will be cheaper and just another bum on the seat. (which they are anyway, contractor or not)

Contracting is probably the worst thing to consider now for the newbies.

(The old hands won't notice any problems I'm sure)
            I have heard this too - I can never square it with the other big trend to bangalorise all the permies out of existence.

Comment

Because the market has swung in the favour of contractors the employers are finding it difficult to get staff at the money they wish to offer.
              Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
              threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Originally posted by threaded
                Because the market has swung in the favour of contractors the employers are finding it difficult to get staff at the money they wish to offer.
                Yup. Another payrise in June...
                More tax for the robbing bastards...
                Higher pension contributions...
                Likelyhood that my pension will get stolen...

Comment

Originally posted by Churchill
                  Likelyhood that my pension will get stolen...
                  Oh, yesssss!
                  God made men. Sam Colt made them equal.

Comment

I'd say the majority of the agents that have contacted me recently have been offering permie roles. When you say "contract only", they say "oh - let me know if you change your mind".

Is it that we're seen as more expensive (not really), or is about security? In my current and previous role I've had sole responsibility for a project, which always strikes me as a bit odd that the management would want all the knowledge of a project to rest with one person, and one person who isn't intending to stay long term.
                    Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Working...
                    X