• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Diamond ring - VAT

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Diamond ring - VAT

Hi I am looking at purchasing a diamond ring and noticed the following comment on the website I am thinking of purchasing from
    ' UK buyers who are VAT registered are exempt of VAT providing that their purchase is for business purposes, in this case their VAT number will have to be provided'

What do you think

Could we put it in as a business expense

I knew someone who put a kitchen through once. For some reason his accountant did not query him. IR crawled all over his books - he lost alot of money from previous years.

IMO dont do it - but you might be lucky!

I expect MB to tell you to go ahead - and I await a comment saying I should not be so negative and think outside the box more... :-)

Comment

Can you argue that it's a marriage of convenience, and purely for business purposes?
      Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

can't you just get the shop to make a receipt out for some thing else? Computer equipment for example ?
        SA says;
        Well you looked so stylish I thought you batted for the other camp - thats like the ultimate compliment!

I couldn't imagine you ever having a hair out of place!

n5gooner is awarded +5 Xeno Geek Points.
        (whatever these are)

Comment

Originally posted by n5gooner
          can't you just get the shop to make a receipt out for some thing else? Computer equipment for example ?
          Or you could just pay the VAT like everyone else. Or am I still 'thinking like a permie'.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg
            Or you could just pay the VAT like everyone else. Or am I still 'thinking like a permie'.

mmmm permie.....
            SA says;
            Well you looked so stylish I thought you batted for the other camp - thats like the ultimate compliment!

(whatever these are)

Comment

are we really having this discussion. Just buy the ring and give it to her. End of story. Are you really that tight.

Comment

Or give her something a bit more ethical.

Comment

like a PC - then you can put it through the books....
                  SA says;

(whatever these are)

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan
                    Can you argue that it's a marriage of convenience, and purely for business purposes?
                    How would that make the ring a necessity?

tim

Comment

Working...
                    X