• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Porsche 911

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Porsche 911

Hi guys

Just drawing up my shortlist for my next motor...does anyone on here have a Porsche 911 (latest model)?

I have 2 kids (a 9 yr old and a 5 yr old) that I have at weekends so I need a 4 seat car...I need to know if the back seats in the 911 are actually usable for kids of this age?

Also...anyone got any experience of the Merc CLS? I've currently got a CLK which I really like so the natural progression is on to the CLS if I stay with Merc...my last 3 cars have been Mercedes because I have had such a good experience of the local dealership so if I don't go for the 911 then this is the most likely candidate.
    Property advisor for the people

Lexus or Jag. Most of the rest are chavmobiles.
    Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

911s are evil handling things, if you've never had one before I would definitely NOT recommend having your kids in it as well.

Now a BMW 8 series, has back seats good enough for kids. You can pick up one relatively cheaply ~10k. Really quite reliable, and can get them fixed in most towns. There are some of the Alpina 850 B12s still about, but they cost considerably more, and no, mine is not for sale.
      Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
      threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

I'm a bit young for the Lexus, Jag and 8 Series (although the 8 Series was a serious car of dreams when I was a boy)...no offence boys!

911's can be tricky to handle but then I don't drive that fast (9 points on my licence doesn't allow it!)...and I certainly don't take any chances with the kids.

I seriously love the CLK but no longer being constrained by a missus, I want to take advantage of new found freedom and buy the car of dreams, whilst at the same time keeping the children in mind...I have thought about the two car option, but I just can't be doing with the hassle.

Comment

Originally posted by threaded
          Alpina 850 B12s
          Were any of them right hand drive?
          ...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

Comment

Originally posted by Vito
            but then I don't drive that fast (9 points on my licence doesn't allow it!)...and I certainly don't take any chances with the kids.
            I can't reconcile those statements

Were the 9 points for speeding offences?
            How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

Originally posted by Troll
              I can't reconcile those statements

Were the 9 points for speeding offences?

Ha ha...let me re-phrase...

I don't drive that fast anymore!

Comment

I have a 993 model 911 Carerra 2 Tiptronic S .....

Absolutely incredible car, the myths about handling are not quite true. You have to pay much greater attention to the way you drive the car when pushing on, so are not the same as a "run of the mill" car.

996 and 997 drive more like a BMW than anything else, 996 suffer the same problems as boxters, RMS seals leaking, Intermediate shaft bearings and so on. Avoid low mileage early 996's with the 3.4 engine, a number have been known to have an engine defect where the cylinder wall cracks causing a total engine failure and requiring a new engine....

Comment

Originally posted by Lockhouse
                  Were any of them right hand drive?
                  At least one is ;-) Bizarrely most of the RHD ones have wandered over to Japan. They really like that car there.
                  Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
                  threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Originally posted by minsky1
                    I have a 993 model 911 Carerra 2 Tiptronic S .....

Absolutely incredible car, the myths about handling are not quite true. You have to pay much greater attention to the way you drive the car when pushing on, so are not the same as a "run of the mill" car.

996 and 997 drive more like a BMW than anything else, 996 suffer the same problems as boxters, RMS seals leaking, Intermediate shaft bearings and so on. Avoid low mileage early 996's with the 3.4 engine, a number have been known to have an engine defect where the cylinder wall cracks causing a total engine failure and requiring a new engine....

And the back seats? Are they viable for two young kids?

Comment

Working...
                    X