• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

6% May Be

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

6% May Be

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/6682971.stm

Must be starting to hit people now, Im defo feeling it in terms of increasing mortgage payments, even more so if we hit 6%. So far its added £165 a month to my mortgage.

Last edited by Ivor1; 23 May 2007, 11:35.

BOE Rates

Phew!

Luckily, I just switched to a fixed rate.

looking at historical data etc, we have been getting very low rates in comparison to the last 25yrs or so.

Comment

So I'm gonna be a couple of months out , still not a bad effort I thought

Mortgage has been fixed at a quarter to half a point below base rate for the last 3 years, just signed up for another 2 at 5.14%.
      Last edited by DaveB; 23 May 2007, 11:49.
      "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Originally posted by phayes
        Phew!

Luckily, I just switched to a fixed rate.

looking at historical data etc, we have been getting very low rates in comparison to the last 25yrs or so.
        I was on discount rate but went for that based on the fact we would need 4 rate rises before it was at the same level as the best fixed deal I could get, still got a year to run on it though, early repayment fees to high to bail, just go to ride it out. Its not to bad for me as my payments are affordable in relation to income I didnt max out, but people who did max out and didnt fix are going to feel it

Comment

Originally posted by DaveB
          So I'm gonna be a couple of months out , still not a bad effort I thought
          Didnt see that post until to late my current mortgage started in Jun 06. Feckdy feck, oh well cant do anything now but cut back on the .....

Comment

8% is a prediction for the short term
            How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

There is a very good chance of another rise at the jun/jul/aug meeting of MPC. Not too sure on another one after that taking rates to 6%, but there is certainly a chance.
              Drivel is my speciality

Comment

The bigger the bubble, the harder it bursts.

Comment

At least a couple of the members of the MPC wanted a half point rise this time. If inflation doesn't look like it's coming under control then a half point rise next month or the month after is getting more and more likely.

I'm starting to think I was too optimistic and we may get 7% before the end of the year.
                  "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Originally posted by Troll
                    8% is a prediction for the short term
                    Predicted by who?

If rates were to go above 6%, a lot of people are going to struggle with repayments.

Comment

Working...
                    X