• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Capital Gains Tax

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Capital Gains Tax

With vague thoughts of perhaps working in London a "ghoul" has raised its ugly head. *doom music* Capital Gains Tax *doom music*

How does one cope with what looks to me like astronomical rates.

In Germany and Switzerland I pay "nowt".

This is probably why everyone in the UK is obsessed with houses and not shares.
    I'm alright Jack

Open a company in Panama. Sell house to Panamanian company for x. Panamanian company sells house for you at y. Keep y-x out of country.

HTH

Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
    threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates
      With vague thoughts of perhaps working in London a "ghoul" has raised its ugly head. *doom music* Capital Gains Tax *doom music*

Not make large sales of capital at one time, other than one's primary residence.
      God made men. Sam Colt made them equal.

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates

In Germany and Switzerland I pay "nowt".

This is probably why everyone in the UK is obsessed with houses and not shares.
        I presume you mean that you pay nowt on shares. You certainly have to pay CGT on houses in Germany.

tim

Comment

correct, you hold shares for more than one year it is tax free.

So in Germany it is the other way round, property is a bad investment. You can see it reflected in the prices.

That may change in the next couple of years.
          I'm alright Jack

Comment

Working...
          X