• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Plan It

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Plan It

When I started contracting I was with Plan IT as an umbrella company. Siince the new regs, I used them to start up my own LTD. They did all of the work and were down as secretary on the company.

They are charging £141 \ month for services but to be honest seem to do very little and none in the way of guidance for new contractors. My LTD company has only been up 6 weeks or so but to get out of my link with them, they now want to charge me for the company set up etc.

I am happy to pay the fee to move to another accountant however.

As they were down as company secretary, how do I then change this in company records?

I will need a good accountant however.....

I would say screw them, Find a decent accountant and get a new company set up. You will find accountants that do it for free and I belive your current company may be caught by the new MSC laws.

Comment

Originally posted by Ardesco
      I would say screw them, Find a decent accountant and get a new company set up. You will find accountants that do it for free and I belive your current company may be caught by the new MSC laws.

How exactly do you think I am caught under the new laws?

Comment

Originally posted by angusglover
        How exactly do you think I am caught under the new laws?
        You are probably not caught by the new laws - it depends on what services they provide for the £141 per month.

SJD charge about £85 and Nixon Williams are cheaper again [ NW give you free Co Set up as well ].

The advise about changing seems good - who do you feel safer with:

1. An accountant who is an accountant
        2. Or an ex-MSC who say they are Accountants

??

no-brainer really.
        Cenedl heb iaith, cenedl heb galon

Comment

Yeah, I have decided to move away from PLAN IT. I don't know if I need to get a new company set up as PLAN IT will give me all of my details and I then keep the company as that seems easier than going through the whole process again mid contract. I guess I just need to fill in a form to get rid of them as company secretary...

For £141 \ month I want more than Plan IT offer...and better as well.

Comment

Originally posted by angusglover
            Yeah, I have decided to move away from PLAN IT. I don't know if I need to get a new company set up as PLAN IT will give me all of my details and I then keep the company as that seems easier than going through the whole process again mid contract. I guess I just need to fill in a form to get rid of them as company secretary...

For £141 \ month I want more than Plan IT offer...and better as well.
            If they ask for Company Set up costs - have a look at what it ACTUALLY costs on the Companies House Website, and agree to pay them that.

Comment

If they are down as a director or company secretary I belive it could be argued that your new limited co is classified as an MSC (As it has a relationship with an MSPC).

However I may be wrong as I haven't really kept up to date with this legislation as it doesn't affect me. I would read up on it and check it out before you transfer the co though. You don't want to spend money trasferring it accross and then finding out the new laws catch you anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by Bluebird
                If they ask for Company Set up costs - have a look at what it ACTUALLY costs on the Companies House Website, and agree to pay them that.
                They offered you a service for a price that you accepted. End of story.

Comment

Originally posted by Churchill
                  They offered you a service for a price that you accepted. End of story.
                  No, I think what he's saying is that they set it up for him, but now he wants to leave they want to recover their costs - which should be no more than the CH fee - although my guess is they'll try and screw him for a couple of hundred.

Comment

Originally posted by Bluebird
                    No, I think what he's saying is that they set it up for him, but now he wants to leave they want to recover their costs - which should be no more than the CH fee - although my guess is they'll try and screw him for a couple of hundred.
                    Well, of course he's read the small print, hasn't he?

Comment

Working...
                    X