• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

best option ? - buy a car as ltd OR personal

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

best option ? - buy a car as ltd OR personal

Hi,

Now that my car is going to be written off by insurance company, i need to buy another car. the outlay will be about 18k-20k on a 2nd used car (BMW X5).

i can either buy the car with company money and then pay all the usual BIK.... OR take 12K out as DIV and get a lone out for the rest

my question is which will be the best option of the two.

how do I work out the BIK on first option if i am going to be using the car 95% for personal use and would any element bring down my profits B4 tax

cheers

css_jay99

99.99% of the time it's to buy the motor personally; your accountant should be able to advise you but that's what I was advised

Comment

i think i was comming to the same conclusion as well after working out the benefit tax using calculator on hmrc site

Now i guess it now leaves on option of either pay in full or take a loan out for some of it.

css_jay99

Comment

its much easier to dodge fines and points on your license if your car is registered through a ltd co

Comment

Originally posted by reginald
          its much easier to dodge fines and points on your license if your car is registered through a ltd co
          I am a law abiding citizen

Comment

Originally posted by css_jay99
            i can either buy the car with company money and then pay all the usual BIK.... OR take 12K out as DIV and get a lone out for the rest
            Best Option? Take the dividend and don't spend more than 12k on a car! Finance on a depreciating asset - madness!

Comment

Originally posted by Crossroads
              Best Option? Take the dividend and don't spend more than 12k on a car! Finance on a depreciating asset - madness!

i wont be able to get what i want for 12k.

I am sure there is no finance on a capital asset that does not deprecite (apart from a house of course)

how do most people afford brand new (or expensive used) cars ?

Comment

Originally posted by css_jay99
                i wont be able to get what i want for 12k.

I am sure there is no finance on a capital asset that does not deprecite (apart from a house of course)

how do most people afford brand new (or expensive used) cars ?
                They borrow (which is madness), or they buy what they can afford. Many people can afford an expensive new car.

Don't be fooled by the self-congratulatory contractors' canteen culture into thinking that you're particularly well-off just because you're a contractor. You're still ferkin peasants as far as I can see.
                God made men. Sam Colt made them equal.

Comment

Spend the 12k of company money on an old classic car, and pay BIK based on the cars original list price (which in 1970 was maybe 2 shillings and an apple or some such)

Very tax efficient.

Comment

Working...
                  X