• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Are Homeplugs/wireless extenders wireless products?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Are Homeplugs/wireless extenders wireless products?

Hi, I have a query on homeplugs/wireless extenders

I have a few wireless products at home and all perform well.

In light of a program on the Tv this week regrading the dangers of wireless connections on kids, i have decided to be proactive and remove any wireless products from the house.

My current wiress products are :
    1) 2 laptops with wireless connection
    2) 2 desktops with wireless connection
    3) 2 Philips wireless TV receiver/broadcaster
    4) Wireless ADSL router/moderm
    5) Bluetooth Moderm
    6) Xbox 360, PS3, PSP

I came across a few homeplug/wireless extenders on the net and dont seem to know if these products are actually using mains supply to extend ethernet connectivity or is it just a case that they are infact small wireless products that are mains powered

Please can anyone shed light on this. For instance will I be able to buy a NON-wireless ADSL Router and then buy these homeplugs to use for connectivity.

The main thing is that I need to know if these homeplugs are actually wireless products

cheers

css_jay99

They actually use the mains cable...rather than mini wireless I believe.,....my boss has them and he reckons they are good...

Comment

FWIW, there's a fair bit of comment on the IT Teacher's website EduGeek about that Panorama programme.

http://www.edugeek.net/index.php?nam...ewtopic&t=8740

Comment

You mean the hysteria about a possible problem that there is no scientific basis for and is largely a load of mumbo jumbo punctuated by the occasional screaming of "will nobody think of the children!!"

To be honest I wouldn't worry about it, unless you regulary sellotape the wireless NIC to your childs head they are unlikely to get any exposure to the "evil wireless death rays" anyway. You would be better off removing the microwave from your house, the radiation it puts out is much more dangerous and you will find a whole school of thought blaming microwaved food for cancer if you look hard enough. (Goolge microwave dangerous).

Comment

Originally posted by css_jay99

In light of a program on the Tv this week regrading the dangers of wireless connections on kids, i have decided to be proactive and remove any wireless products from the house.

5) Bluetooth Moderm
          6) Xbox 360, PS3, PSP

I came across a few homeplug/wireless extenders on the net and dont seem to know if these products are actually using mains supply to extend ethernet connectivity or is it just a case that they are infact small wireless products that are mains powered

Please can anyone shed light on this. For instance will I be able to buy a NON-wireless ADSL Router and then buy these homeplugs to use for connectivity.

The main thing is that I need to know if these homeplugs are actually wireless products

cheers

css_jay99
          The plugs use your mains leccy as a network, you connect your Internet Router to a main socket via one, then all your sockets become potential feeds into whatever hardware you've got - providing of course you've got another socket where your hardware is.

It's ok for round the house, but if you're in the back garden sipping cool drinks you'll need an extension cable.

Also watch out when you use appliances such as vacuum cleaners etc tend to fry your data somewhat.
          Cenedl heb iaith, cenedl heb galon

Comment

Originally posted by Bluebird
            The plugs use your mains leccy as a network, you connect your Internet Router to a main socket via one, then all your sockets become potential feeds into whatever hardware you've got - providing of course you've got another socket where your hardware is.

I find that difficult to belive it works via electricity.

I am no scientist but Here is my theory (might be wrong of course!)

As far as electricity wiring goes, each zone of the house (i.e bathroom/kitchen/upstairs/downstairs wall sockets, bathroom ....)
            are all usually isolated and connected separately in a fusebox (in the house).

For electricity to pass from point A to B, it is a fact that there must me a current as well as a wired connection between those two points

Giving the statements above, then how the heck could there exist an ethernet connection between wall sockects on different fuses in a fuse box?, It just dos not make sence

anyone care to explain ?

css_jay99

Comment

5) Bluetooth Moderm
              6) Xbox 360, PS3, PSP

cheers

css_jay99

It is a load of crap.

Microwave oven, think of the power from an electric heater.

Wifi, think of the power from a single LED like your key fob.

Read up on inverse square law.
              "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

The answer can be found on their website:

http://www.homeplugs.co.uk

"HomePlug units enable you to expand your network using the existing electrical wiring within your home. The data travels from one HomePlug to another. No drivers required, operating system independent. Plug any Ethernet device into the HomePlug and away you go - High speed reliable networking."

Oh, and I agree, this current hoo-haa regarding wireless death-rays is a bit of a storm in a teacup.

What next, cigarettes are bad for you?

Comment

I find that difficult to belive it works via electricity.

I am no scientist but Here is my theory (might be wrong of course!)

As far as electricity wiring goes, each zone of the house (i.e bathroom/kitchen/upstairs/downstairs wall sockets, bathroom ....)
                  are all usually isolated and connected separately in a fusebox (in the house).

For electricity to pass from point A to B, it is a fact that there must me a current as well as a wired connection between those two points

Giving the statements above, then how the heck could there exist an ethernet connection between wall sockects on different fuses in a fuse box?, It just dos not make sence

anyone care to explain ?

css_jay99
                  Hadn't thought of it like that - perhaps it's black magic ?

However, all the "sockets" exist in a "network" on the side of the main fuse - the fuse box seperates the current coming in so that it can trip and "area" rather than the main fuse.
                  Cenedl heb iaith, cenedl heb galon

Comment

I remember reading something about them sharing the fusebox or ring main or something, plus a bloke in a big old house having six fuseboxes and running these without problems. Google should help but I know a few people using these with no trouble.

Comment

Working...
                    X