• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Filthy Rich & Homeless

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Filthy Rich & Homeless

Anyone see this last night? Fair play to Naz - blagging his way to some cash in his hand until it all fell apart at the seams with the police. Exactly what I'd try and do given the circumstances.

So do you agree that it's just plain laziness/stupidity to remain penniless? That stripped of everything you have (although they lacked the utter hopelessness and lack of contacts a real down-and-out would have), you can crawl from the bottom of the gutter armed with only your initiative and resourcefullness?

Pathetic that the big bloke had to call his mum.

Originally posted by realityhack
    Anyone see this last night? Fair play to Naz - blagging his way to some cash in his hand until it all fell apart at the seams with the police. Exactly what I'd try and do given the circumstances.

So do you agree that it's just plain laziness/stupidity to remain penniless? That stripped of everything you have (although they lacked the utter hopelessness and lack of contacts a real down-and-out would have), you can crawl from the bottom of the gutter armed with only your initiative and resourcefullness?

Naz is a top man. I think that many of the homeless are in their positions partly because of circumstances that were beyond their control, partly because they have degenerated to that sort of life because of their own choices (drug taking, crime, alcoholism). They are all capable of surviving inn what is a very tough world but they choose to give up and become itinerants. I do not believe it is as simple as merely being feckless and lazy.
    Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Originally posted by DodgyAgent
      Naz is a top man. I think that many of the homeless are in their positions partly because of circumstances that were beyond their control, partly because they have degenerated to that sort of life because of their own choices (drug taking, crime, alcoholism). They are all capable of surviving inn what is a very tough world but they choose to give up and become itinerants. I do not believe it is as simple as merely being feckless and lazy.
      For an agent, you've got a soft streak DA!

(which I admire, by the way. Not dissing you.)

Comment

Originally posted by Zorba
        For an agent, you've got a soft streak DA!

(which I admire, by the way. Not dissing you.)
        I like to think that I am the acceptable face of agentism
        Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Hiding a dark underbelly.

Comment

scary thought. imagine how dodgy the rest of them are

Comment

Originally posted by realityhack

Yeah, I caught this earlier in the week and thought it was interesting.

I think Ravi (not Naz) went into it with the same mentality as most newly homeless people who think they can pull themselves out of it.

However, he was a great example of the reality of the situation where homelessness appeared to be a force which sucks you down even further.

By the end of it, even he wanted to just curl up.

Linky for those that missed it: http://www.bbc.co.uk/bbcthree/programmes/homeless/
              Last edited by Clippy; 25 May 2007, 13:47.

Comment

Originally posted by Clippy
                I think Ravi (not Naz) went into it with the same mentality as most newly homeless people who think they can pull themselves out of it.
                Apologies but well corrected.
                I agree it's not cut and dry, and that all sorts of situations, depression, addiction etc can land you in these circumstances .

It was also fairly obvious (so far) that Ravi's confidence may succumb to defeatism later in the series - but after all that had bedded down, and you've made it through the initial stages of depression & being down and out - I reckon we'd be working our way out of the situation with renewed vigour.

Nothing like hunger to sharpen the mind.

Comment

Please help any info

just flicked the chanel and caught the end of fithy rich. I have looked for Kulgan (col) for 4 years and there i see him lying in a card board box. about 10 years ago I met him leaning on my garden wall packing his back pack, it was freezing and i remeber seeing two flutes (instruments) sticking out of his bag, I invited him in to sit by the fire and have a cup of tea, he had a black dog with him that never left his side. They stayed for tea, then dinner and he left late that night. I couldn't get our talks out of my head and just mad how someone could be outside in the freezing cold. I was unemployed at the time and skint but this meeting bought down to earth what being skint realy was. I still had to do something. I went out, it was a sunday and found a shop that sold tents and bought him a good dome tent and searched thefields round huntingdon untill I found him. He was so please and gratefull that I had bought him this and it was the start of a friendship. He used to have a horse and cart, his horse was stolen years before we met and we worked out a plan. He stayed in the tent and used my address and details etc and got a job sweeping the roads for hunts district council. He save a and got a new horse, I was so happy, he gave me a lot and I helped him all I could. He is a man that was abused when young in and out of orphanages etc etc and could not conform. I went through a personal tradgedy and left for the u.s for 6 months. The last I saw of Kulgan was walking behind his white horse with reighs training it for his cart. I have thought of him often and wondered how he is, where he is and how his horse is doing. I am now married with children and back in my twenties that man helped me grow up and not think just of myself. To see him on TV just for the last ten minuites....I have to gain any clues to where he may be, please help if you have any direction.

Comment

Working...
                  X