• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

South Africa

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

South Africa

Anyone been there?

Apart from sitting on the beach (which one can do almost anwhere),

and going on Safari in the Kruger Park, what is there to see and do?

I'm not sure that "visiting the townships and looking at all the poor people" is the answer that I'm looking for.

TIA

tim

Originally posted by tim123
    Anyone been there?

Apart from sitting on the beach (which one can do almost anwhere),

and going on Safari in the Kruger Park, what is there to see and do?

I'm not sure that "visiting the townships and looking at all the poor people" is the answer that I'm looking for.

TIA

tim
    You could try not being a violent gun crime victim statisitc.

Comment

Originally posted by Kyajae

There was a place I used to use between Durban and Ballito which used to ask everybody to leave their weapons with the cloakroom. This was about 10 years ago at the height of the taxi wars though.

I'm told it's better now. Not good, just better.

Comment

Originally posted by Kyajae
        Yep,

Normally when I go on holiday to 'strange' places, I just ride around on the local trains and buses, out into the suburbs, to see the 'local life'.

The guides that I have so far read about SA is that doing this is an absolute no, no. Though they don't say exactly how bad the consequences are.

tim

Comment

Been To Joburg, Durban, Maritzburg and The Drakensberg. Driven around the midlands and through Tala game reserve, as well as all round Joburg down to Heidleberg.

What do you want to know mate?

Or should I say - where exactly will you be? Then I can give you some pointers.

Comment

http://www.bluetrain.co.za/
            Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

I'm born and bred in South Africa.
              I am from JHB, and would strongly recommend you don't bother at all with JHB, there is nothing much to see really. The few sites there are, aren't really worth your personal safety.

Cape town is really nice. But it's all depends on what you like in a holiday?

If you're into surfing and chilling out Jefferey's bay is cool.

If you're in 4X4 ing through the desert etc, then the Northern Cape is cool.

I left South Africa 7 years ago and haven't been back,and to be honest I don't really miss it.

If you're into Wild Lfe there are heaps of Game Reserves every where.

George and Knysna is awesome!!
              threenine.co.uk
              Cultivate, Develop & Sustain Innovation

Comment

Originally posted by Sysman
                No. Don't travel by train.

Edit: Ignore this - see below.
                Last edited by realityhack; 25 May 2007, 20:14.

Comment

In Capetown for a couple of days in 1973 so I am a total expert on SA.
                  bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
                  John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

My (South African) girlfriend informs me that the blue train is not like a normal train - it's like a 5 star hotel on rails, and that I'm very wrong with my above comment.

Furthermore, she says: Go hiking in the Drakensberg mountains in Natal, do the wine route in the Cape, yup Knysna is awesome, pop across to Namibia to see the Namib desert, the place is just so big and varied that you should prob get in touch with tour operators who focus on certain priorities and put togther a package for you (Rainbow tours maybe) - if u don't know what u want to do, best be given some ideas by them.

You can't do SA in one trip - unless it spans quite a few weeks. Don't cut out the beaches or the wildlife tho - Kruger is just one expensive option - there are many many many other smaller reserves where your pound will mean you can enjoy the luxury of hotel rooms facing the animals' water-holes etc.. nothing like it...
                    Plettenberg bay and Jefferies bay are the best beaches. Go see the whales in Hermanus..
                    Basically, SA is a place where you can stay longer, eat and drink more, shop more, and do more because of the exchange rate...enjoy!

I now have the keyboard back. For the record - my dad went recently and he found Rainbow Tours good - expensive though, but he went all round SA and Mozambique, Zambia etc as well.
                    Last edited by realityhack; 26 May 2007, 12:35.

Comment

Working...
                    X