• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Paying dividends out of my limited company

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Paying dividends out of my limited company

If you don't know the answer to the title please don't read this or post "get an accountant". The reason I'm asking this is to double check my understanding, I have an accountant already but I'm not going to bug him at 21:50pm on a Friday night.

I have a limited company with shares split between myself and my partner (500/500) valued at £1 each.

I have £1000 in the company bank which I have decided after paying out all salaries etc. that this is actually real profit I have made and wish to reward the shareholders.

1) Do I pay 20% of this into my business savings account (£200) as corporation tax, which I keep for when I must do my corp. tax return later in the year.

2) write the board minutes etc, and issue 2 dividend vouchers with the following details:-

Interim Dividend of £0.80 paid per £1 share for the year ended 25 May 2007 to shareholders registered on 25 May 2007

J Bloggs - Director

Number of Shares - 500
    Dividend Payment - £400.00
    Tax Credit - £40.00
    The cycle of life: born > learn > work > learn > dead.

Originally posted by chris79
    If you don't know the answer to the title please don't read this or post "get an accountant". The reason I'm asking this is to double check my understanding, I have an accountant already but I'm not going to bug him at 21:50pm on a Friday night.

I have a limited company with shares split between myself and my partner (500/500) valued at £1 each.

I have £1000 in the company bank which I have decided after paying out all salaries etc. that this is actually real profit I have made and wish to reward the shareholders.

1) Do I pay 20% of this into my business savings account (£200) as corporation tax, which I keep for when I must do my corp. tax return later in the year.

2) write the board minutes etc, and issue 2 dividend vouchers with the following details:-

Interim Dividend of £0.80 paid per £1 share for the year ended 25 May 2007 to shareholders registered on 25 May 2007

J Bloggs - Director

Number of Shares - 500
    Tax Credit - £40.00
    Give me strength

Alright, you are mostly right except that the tax credit is ten percent of the gross dividend, so in your case:

Number of Shares - 500
    Tax Credit - £44.44
    Dividend - £444.44

Comment

Originally posted by Gonzo
      Give me strength

Alright, you are mostly right except that the tax credit is ten percent of the gross dividend, so in your case:

Number of Shares - 500
      Tax Credit - £44.44
      Dividend - £444.44

cheers, the only bit I don't understand here is do I pay each shareholder £444.44, or just £400 ?

Comment

cheers, the only bit I don't understand here is do I pay each shareholder £444.44, or just £400 ?
        Hint - what does it say just after "Dividend payment" in the worked example?
        Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio
          Hint - what does it say just after "Dividend payment" in the worked example?

ok, but what I dont understand is this:-

company has £1000

£200 paid in corp tax

£800 left... so how can I pay £444.40 to both shareholders? Do I need to work it so that the dividend is lower and with the tax credit added it makes £400?

what is the calculation to do this?

Comment

CBA to do the sums, but the £44.44 is a notional amount representing that bit of the £200 CT you have paid covering this dividend payment. The payout is £444.44, you've paid £400 to the shareholder and you''ve already paid £44.44 CT on it.
            Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio
              CBA to do the sums, but the £44.44 is a notional amount representing that bit of the £200 CT you have paid covering this dividend payment. The payout is £444.44, you've paid £400 to the shareholder and you''ve already paid £44.44 CT on it.

ok, after a bit reading around I think it's as follows, can anyone confirm?

company profit = £400.00
              corporation tax = £80.00
              net dividend = £320.00

dividend payable = £320.00
              tax credit voucher = 320 / 9 = £35.55

the amount actually paid to the persons bank would then be £320 .. the tax credit voucher is just for reference, it is NOT £320+£35.55 paid.

correct?

Comment

ok, after a bit reading around I think it's as follows, can anyone confirm?

company profit = £400.00
                corporation tax = £80.00
                net dividend = £320.00

dividend payable = £320.00
                tax credit voucher = 320 / 9 = £35.55

the amount actually paid to the persons bank would then be £320 .. the tax credit voucher is just for reference, it is NOT £320+£35.55 paid.

correct?
                si, baronay. The tax credit voucher is for your personal tax return. When you fill it in, you will find that you have to
                - declare that you received 355.55 in dividend income
                - declare that 35.55 of tax was already paid on it
                - show the dividend voucher, to prove it
                - then, if you're a higher rate tax payer, you may have to pay a bit more tax on top. Or, if you're a basic rate tax payer, then you're all done with no more tax to pay.
                Plan A is located just about here.
                If that doesn't work, then there's always plan B

Comment

Working...
                X