• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

NHS Dentists refuse to treat bad teeth

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

NHS Dentists refuse to treat bad teeth

That new NHS dentist payment system the scumvernment has put in place sounds as tulipe as everything else they do...
    (The Times) DENTISTS on the National Health Service are turning away people with bad teeth because they say they are only paid enough to treat patients with a good dental health record.

One surgery admitted that people who have not had a dental appointment for three years will be refused treatment. Others are employing more subtle methods to reject patients.

Related to that.... I can't get an appointment at the GP unless I book it the same day. Their lines don't open till 8.30am by which time I am probably already at work and an hour away from the surgery.

This is apparently because the govt set targets that say people should be able to get an appointment the same day. The only way to actually achieve this is to not book patients in advance.
    All that is necessary for evil members to succeed is that good members post nothing

Comment

The NHS web site says they are supposed to see you within two days (not the same day) and that they must give you a longer range appointment if you ask for it.

This second requirement was added when (I think during the last election) Tony Blair's surprised reaction was filmed when a voter told him it was impossible to book an appointment in advance.

I'm willing to believe that your Doctor breaks the rules by not allowing appointments to be booked in advance. The place where I go has almost invariably told me whenever I've called that the earliest I can see a doctor is in two weeks time. The last time I called was a couple of years ago, but I intend to call tomorrow, so it will be interesting to see if anything's changed.

Comment

Originally posted by wendigo100
        That new NHS dentist payment system the scumvernment has put in place sounds as tulipe as everything else they do...
        Isn't that like doctors only treating people that are not sick?

Comment

Originally posted by angusglover
          Isn't that like doctors only treating people that are not sick?
          You mean like hospitals doing lots of short, simple operations instead of the long, critical ones because it makes your targets look better?

Comment

Looks like my wife has had her kidney transplant postponed. Had geared work up and everything - lack of an anaesthetist
            Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

Originally posted by TonyEnglish
              Looks like my wife has had her kidney transplant postponed. Had geared work up and everything - lack of an anaesthetist
              Would you allow a locum to put her under?
              How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

Originally posted by wendigo100
                You mean like hospitals doing lots of short, simple operations instead of the long, critical ones because it makes your targets look better?
                Yeah.....so how do people with bad teeth get them sorted?...Dumb assed idea...

Comment

Originally posted by angusglover
                  Yeah.....so how do people with bad teeth get them sorted?...Dumb assed idea...
                  Do what politicians do - go private.

Comment

Originally posted by TonyEnglish
                    Have you checked the golf course? There'll be a few there.

Oh and I rang my GP for an appointment tomorrow but they said you have to ring the same day. Nice work tony, god only knows what mad schemes gordo will bring to the mix.
                    Last edited by Stan; 29 May 2007, 19:13.
                    All that is necessary for evil members to succeed is that good members post nothing

Comment

Working...
                    X