• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

using umbrella co, do i need to check contract in IR35?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

using umbrella co, do i need to check contract in IR35?

Hi all, this probably a stupid question but to clarify a bit of confusion for me, do i need to get my contract checked to see if its in IR35 if i am going through an umbrella company - cos they have said they sort out all my tax etc etc and are soley responsible to the taxman??
    Last edited by Contractor UK; 7 October 2011, 12:24.

Not really. Since you are effectively a full time employee of the umbrella, as far as the taxman is concerned, and paying full PAYE and NICs anyway, there's little point in chasing you for an IR35 failure.
    Blog? What blog...?

Comment

satisfied,

cheers malvolio

Comment

To go a little further than malvolio.

If you are paid purely PAYE then as a matter of law IR35 cannot possibly apply.

IR35 can only kick in if you are paid other than PAYE (dividends generally) and you own more than 5% of the share capital of the potential intermediary.

Comment

Originally posted by ASB
          To go a little further than malvolio.

If you are paid purely PAYE then as a matter of law IR35 cannot possibly apply.

IR35 can only kick in if you are paid other than PAYE (dividends generally) and you own more than 5% of the share capital of the potential intermediary.

so if i owned less than 5% of my own LTD co then i would be IR35 safe?
          Coffee's for closers

Comment

Originally posted by Spacecadet
            so if i owned less than 5% of my own LTD co then i would be IR35 safe?
            Surely not.. Otherwise I could employ permatemp contractors, give them 1% and pay them mostly in expenses and dividends! Would that make me a MSC?

Comment

Originally posted by timh
              Surely not.. Otherwise I could employ permatemp contractors, give them 1% and pay them mostly in expenses and dividends! Would that make me a MSC?
              I would have thought that only owning 5% meant that I would only get 5% dividends, the other 95% going to the majority shareholder, who just by coincidence could be my wife
              Coffee's for closers

Comment

Originally posted by timh

If they all got 1%, they would get an equal 1% share of company profits by way of dividends if that's how you want to do it. They might not like this because they all get paid the same regardless of what they do.
                It's my opinion and I'm entitled to it. www.areyoupopular.mobi

Comment

Originally posted by Spacecadet
                  I would have thought that only owning 5% meant that I would only get 5% dividends, the other 95% going to the majority shareholder, who just by coincidence could be my wife
                  then you're into the realms of reasonable share distribution, I guess you could quite ligitimatley sell your shares to your wife...

But then that could take her over the 37k personal threshold - all too complicated for me to think about.

I'm sure there's an easy answer why you can't do this...
                  Cenedl heb iaith, cenedl heb galon

Comment

S660a
                    It's my opinion and I'm entitled to it. www.areyoupopular.mobi

Comment

Working...
                    X