• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

C# .NET versus Java EE?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

C# .NET versus Java EE?

Which is best for future moneybags filling?

Originally posted by SoupDragon
    Which is best for future moneybags filling?
    Knowing both.

Comment

8051 Assembler.

Loadsamoney!!!

Comment

I might be offered the chance to cross train from C++ to C# for a really crap rate... Hmm...

Comment

try Java, apparently the transitions easier from C++ (don't know personally, started there). also, a couple other points to consider;
          - MS may change their mind abt a language in a year or two and render it useless
          - Java's been around 10+(?) years and still growing
          - Java to C# is pretty easy (namespaces are a bit of fun to get used to, but i'm just stupid)

go Java, lots of free tools!

(all in my humble opinion!)

Comment

It's not really knowing the core language (C# is pretty much java with enough incompatibilities / differences so that MS can claim it's a separate language) - it's about knowing the framework around it.

Comment

Originally posted by bobhope
              It's not really knowing the core language (C# is pretty much java with enough incompatibilities / differences so that MS can claim it's a separate language) - it's about knowing the framework around it.
              Indeed. But which framework is likely to be the most popular in the future? J2EE seems very strong but Microsoft have a nasty habit of winning such races.

Comment

Java, that's the future.

I have heard a rumour M$ are ditching .NET next year and going Java.

All the .Netters better start switching over quick.

HTH

Comment

Can you cite source for said rumour?

Comment

Well, where I'm currently contracting, they used to have both a .NET team and a J2EE team of equal size. In the space of one year they've gone to having 1 .NET guy who's just responsible for maintenance, and increased the number of J2EE devs. In fact the .NET apps are gradually being ported to J2EE in a new integration project - and when it goes live, that's the end of .NET at this client.

That's not necessarily the case at all clients, it depends on how much they're dependent on MS technology in the first place. Here they're pretty much platform agnostic so it's been a straight fight and J2EE has comprehensively won.
                    Listen to my last album on Spotify

Comment

Working...
                    X