• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

parse2.com

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

parse2.com

Well, after many an hour snatched here and there, out of the hands of my demanding children, I have finally got my website up and running.

parse2.com

I would appreciate it if people could give it a once over and look for typos, missing links, bits that don't format properly etc. If you do experience any formatting problems could you let me know which browser you are using.

Many thanks in advance.

Website looks fine and the project looks really interesting. Before really diving in, I've got a couple of questions:-

I've used ANTLR before - http://www.antlr.org/

What are the main differences between your approach and theirs?
    Why should I choose your software over ANTLR?
    Listen to my last album on Spotify

Comment

Hello Cowboy,

When I started out I looked at ANTLR and JavaCC but couldn't get either of them to deal with the types of protocol/messages I was trying to parse. This may have been due to ignorance of the products but I then started looking at parsers in general and didn't try them again.

The main difference that I was interested in was that Augmented BNF has "variable repetition".

<a>*<b>element

This is not present in Extended BNF which most other parsers use.

I have been working on a messaging system for a few years where the messages do not comform to a grammar where every field is delimited by a punctuation character. Identifying one field from the next is often based on length and format which is much easier to define with Augmented BNF.

The other comment is that I found the above compiler compilers relatively difficult to master. I wanted a system where the grammar file was all you needed. Probably find I will learn the lessons they learned many years ago and mine will get more complicated.

Sorry, not a particularly well thought out answer but it is the power of the "variable repetition" construct that I needed.
      Last edited by OrangeHopper; 30 May 2007, 10:09.

Comment

I wish i was that clever. you is like einstein in it.

Comment

Originally posted by TheRightStuff
          I wish i was that clever. you is like einstein in it.
          Don't you mean, "You is like Threaded".

Comment

Originally posted by OrangeHopper
            Don't you mean, "You is like Threaded".
            If that were to be true then more pies would be required
            Your parents ruin the first half of your life and your kids ruin the second half

Comment

Originally posted by OrangeHopper
              The main difference that I was interested in was that Augmented BNF has "variable repetition".

<a>*<b>element

This is not present in Extended BNF which most other parsers use.
              Sounds interesting. I'll play around with it a bit, and you never know, it might end up on my "possible solutions" list.

Comment

Ta Cowboy.

Obviously let me know via the parse2 email if you have any questions or find any bugs.

Comment

Any chance of the code? Or are you unable to open source it? I prefer my libraries to come with source code.

Comment

Sorry but for the time being I'm not going to make the code available.

Comment

Working...
                    X