• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Telling client you are off at end of contract

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Telling client you are off at end of contract

I've been in the current gig about 4 years, and made myself farely indespensible onthe project, but I've just got another gig (with loads more money).

Once I have the paperwork in hand, I need to tell the PM

So how should I go about telling the PM I'm off at the end ?
    Shold I wear a crash helmet for protection ?
    Your parents ruin the first half of your life and your kids ruin the second half

4 years?!

If I were in that position I'd give everyone plenty of notice (2 months or more) and offer to arrange the replacement/handover myself.

Comment

And if you would be happy with the old contract but on the new contract's rate, then offer that too.
      It's my opinion and I'm entitled to it. www.areyoupopular.mobi

Comment

Originally posted by timh
        4 years?!

If I were in that position I'd give everyone plenty of notice (2 months or more) and offer to arrange the replacement/handover myself.
        And forfeit the new and better paid contract because you'll be spending another 2 months at the existing client?

Comment

Just tell him!

Oh tulip, I sit next to him. Tell me when and I will have the day off.

Comment

If you are quite a lynchpin, you may be offered more cash to stay put anyway. You don't have to give any more notice than is in your contract, but it's polite to after all that time.

Just talk permie speak about how you want to further your professional development and seek new environments/sectors to work in, or are interested in X sector experience. They can't argue.

Comment

Originally posted by chicane
              And forfeit the new and better paid contract because you'll be spending another 2 months at the existing client?
              Personally speaking I've stopped bothering to look for new contracts until I've finished what I'm doing, so it wouldn't apply quite that way. But I feel strongly that if I'm acting as a proper business rather than a fly-by-night freelancer I'm committed to making my client happy and if leaving unexpectedly would cause major problems then I should mitigate those as much as I can.

Comment

Offered more cash to stay put!

He's having a laugh.

Comment

timh.

He's not telling you everything and if you knew you wouldn't be accusing him of being unprofessional.

Comment

Originally posted by timh
                    Personally speaking I've stopped bothering to look for new contracts until I've finished what I'm doing, so it wouldn't apply quite that way. But I feel strongly that if I'm acting as a proper business rather than a fly-by-night freelancer I'm committed to making my client happy and if leaving unexpectedly would cause major problems then I should mitigate those as much as I can.
                    Or you could just turn up pished and offer to discuss it outside in the car park (best to be tooled up just to be on the safe side.)

Comment

Working...
                    X