• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The Common Sense is Finally and Completely F*cked!!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Common Sense is Finally and Completely F*cked!!

Innocent man to pay for jail time
    A 37-year-old man jailed for a crime he did not commit is being charged almost £7,000 for his time in prison.
    Warren Blackwell from Woodford Halse, Northamptonshire, has been told the sum will be deducted from compensation to cover savings on rent and food.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/n...re/6702519.stm

Stories like this make my ******' blood boil.

The purpose of the compensation is to put an individual back into the financial position they would have been in but for the miscarriage of justice, but not to a better position."

Mr Blackwell said there was no chance of that happening in his case because his legal bills were huge.

"My parents contributed tens of thousands of pounds and friends added to the fighting fund."

The amount of Mr Blackwell's compensation is yet to be decided, although he said he thought it would be in the region of £100,000.

So basically he's freed, no worse off except he spent 3 years in jail FFS!!
    The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

Only fair etc. etc.
      How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

Originally posted by Bagpuss
        So basically he's freed, no worse off except he spent 3 years in jail FFS!!
        Oh do come on! 3 years in jail! You make it sound like he's been on holiday for 3 years.

Comment

Where is the compensation for the "Freedoms" that were withdrawn during his incarceration?

Comment

Don't see what the problem is, it's just a way of calculating a figure. The award will be made up of X due to stress, loss of quality of quality of life etc. plus Y to compensate for actual financial losses. The latter part will inevitably take all factors into account. The real question to consider is, is the final amount adequate compensation for what he has gone through?

PS I am assuming of course there is an X. Not totally sure from the article.
            Last edited by xoggoth; 30 May 2007, 16:58.
            bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
            John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Is there compensation for bum hole violation from big bubba included in the compensation calculation?

Comment

Nah, there is a charge for good sex like that.
                How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
                Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth
                  Don't see what the problem is, it's just a way of calculating a figure. The award will be made up of X due to stress, loss of quality of quality of life etc. plus Y to compensate for actual financial losses. The latter part will inevitably take all factors into account. The real question to consider is, is the final amount adequate compensation for what he has gone through?

PS I am assuming of course there is an X. Not totally sure from the article.
                  There is no 'X', and the 'Y' is a very stingy little 'y'. From what I've read he's done really well, for someone who's not a lawyer, only about 100k out of pocket.

The thing to remember, in all these things is: never leave a witness, and the lawyers always win.
                  Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
                  threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Working...
                  X