• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Selling books to company

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Selling books to company

I'd like to sell a load of technical books to my limited company. They are solely for work use and I bought them at various times over the last two years. What price should I sell at? They are as new. The RRP, Amazon.co.uk price or some other (e.g. 10% of Amazon.co.uk new price as they are second hand). I want to sell at top price but not break any rules.

If you sell something not sure if its classed as income and taxed?

Seems a bit dodgy. Selling an asset to the company that you had anyway. You'd probably have to pay BIK on them if they are placed at your disposal.

Comment

I sold my collection of books to my Ltd. I used the Amazon 'Used and New' price. Some prices were quite generous but it's a fair way of doing it, and I think the taxman would have to accept it too.
      Cats are evil.

Comment

If this is a new company, you should just include it as setup costs that you had prior to startup - no need for a receipt (although one always helps), but a realistic valuation should be fine.

When I started MyCo, I had all sorts of things like that, and office furniture, laptop etc. etc. that I just lumped in together as pre-formation expenses and claimed them.
        Best Forum Advisor 2014
        Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
        Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

So books, existing pc ..... laptops. All used for business purposes. All pukka?

Would like to get as much out of my Ltd as possible before i start paying the taxman - but obviously only if its allowable.

Comment

Do you then have to provide a receipt etc for proof? How is it recorded?

Comment

Mine is just recorded in a spreadsheet, with a justification for the valuation, and some receipts that I had (e.g. for the computer).

My office furniture I have no receipts for, since I bought it 6 months before the company was set up. I've just documented that there was no receipt for it, but put in an approximate value and claimed it back.

Discuss it with an accountant - this is what my accountant said to do, so I claimed it back. As long as there is a reasonable justification, you stand a better chance in the event of an investigation. I claimed laptop, furniture, existing stock (I manufacture as well as providing consultancy) that I'd got in before setting up the company.
              Best Forum Advisor 2014
              Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
              Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Working...
              X