• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

What Is The Average "Bench Time" Between Contracts?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What Is The Average "Bench Time" Between Contracts?

Hi

A simple question:

I was wondering just what is the average time on the "bench" between contracts?
    ====
    Peter Pilgrim

23.72 days.

HTH

Comment

There is no typical average. It depends on loads of things, like what you do, how well-known you are amongst agents and clients, how good you are, how fussy you are with what you take.

Bench time can vary a lot too. I've been contracting for 19 years, on more than 20 gigs. I've had three significant benchings in that time, about 2 months each. The other transitions have mostly been Friday to Monday, except for a few days here and there.

Comment

Originally posted by wendigo100
        There is no typical average. It depends on loads of things, like what you do, how well-known you are amongst agents and clients, how good you are, how fussy you are with what you take.

Bench time can vary a lot too. I've been contracting for 19 years, on more than 20 gigs. I've had three significant benchings in that time, about 2 months each. The other transitions have mostly been Friday to Monday, except for a few days here and there.
        As a contractor I believe there must be a metric for your performance. I hear of other contractors that have moved from one gig to another almost flawlessly. I am a little preoccupied by this, because I have had months out between long stints, and because one is not getting any younger.

You mentioned how good you are and how well-known you are amongst agents and clients.

With training and experience you can improve your technical skills, but how can one become more popular with agency and clients? Can you elaborate a little bit more on these, I suppose, social and person-to-person interactions please?
        ====
        Peter Pilgrim

Comment

I've only been contracting for about 8 years and I've been lucky in that most times I've jumped before I was pushed, so I've found the next position before I even handed my notice in. The one time I was dumped I got about three months notice because the manager was trying to keep his only contractor (me) and the accountants were telling him he couldn't and it was a stand off for just long enough for me to find something.

It does tend to take me ages, but I've had the luxury of time to be fussy. I guess most people could get something very quickly, it's just how low you can go really.

All things considered I'd say at least a month. I'm always surprised to hear people talk about "my agent" and "my clients" as I've never got two roles from the same agent and never been employed by the same client twice, but I guess that may depend what line of work you're in or something.

Comment

Originally posted by King Cnvt
            23.72 days.

HTH
            That is a typical answer from a rubbish UK contractor. I am sure those highly qualified and fully experience Indians could give that figure to at least four decimal places.
            Drivel is my speciality

Comment

Never been benched for more than 2 months - and that includes a 1 month voluntary break.
              Last edited by Cowboy Bob; 30 May 2007, 18:59.
              Listen to my last album on Spotify

Comment

At one end of the scale, there are industry generalists with a wide set of skills. They're hardly ever on the bench. At the other, you've got the niche guys who often only expect 4 months work per year. Horses for courses etc.

Comment

Never been on the bench in 4 years. Ask me again in 20 years.
                  "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by dang65
                    All things considered I'd say at least a month. I'm always surprised to hear people talk about "my agent" and "my clients" as I've never got two roles from the same agent and never been employed by the same client twice, but I guess that may depend what line of work you're in or something.
                    Disguised permie. I'm off to tell Gordo.

Comment

Working...
                    X