• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

WiFi flakiness

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

WiFi flakiness

I have a Netgear ADSL router, but only an 11Mb one, two desktops and a laptop.

One of the desktops is new, and didn't come with wireless so I went out and bought a cheapo Sitecom wireless PCI card from the local Maplin store, which okay was probably not the highest quality purchase I could have made.

Everything works, but on the new PC the internet connection seems less reliable. It's often a bit slower to respond, and I was trying to listen to the radio earlier and kept losing the signal.

But the signal strength meter remains at "very good", nothing I can find reports any CRC or other errors, and if I ping the router it always responds within 1 or 2 ms.

If something was interfering with WiFi, or the signal just wasn't strong enough, would this be the behaviour? I don't think so.

Any suggestions?
    Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Originally posted by VectraMan
    I have a Netgear ADSL router, but only an 11Mb one, two desktops and a laptop.

One of the desktops is new, and didn't come with wireless so I went out and bought a cheapo Sitecom wireless PCI card from the local Maplin store, which okay was probably not the highest quality purchase I could have made.

Everything works, but on the new PC the internet connection seems less reliable. It's often a bit slower to respond, and I was trying to listen to the radio earlier and kept losing the signal.

But the signal strength meter remains at "very good", nothing I can find reports any CRC or other errors, and if I ping the router it always responds within 1 or 2 ms.

If something was interfering with WiFi, or the signal just wasn't strong enough, would this be the behaviour? I don't think so.

Any suggestions?
    Can you tell us the acutal make/model of the PCI card or provide a link to Maplins website where I can see the spec?

Comment

This one I think:

http://www.maplin.co.uk/module.aspx?...45078&doy=31m5

Windows says:

"Sitecom Wireless Network PCI adapter Turbo G WL-171"

Comment

Are you running XP ?
        I've had a lot of problems with Wireless Zero Configurator (WZC), which have gone away since I started shutting down WZC once a connection with the router was made.

Previously it would disconnect and reconnect again intermittently.
        But Microshaft claim its working normally !

Comment

Is there a firmware upgrade for the router? I had this issue so decided to go for the newer version of the router and all my troubles went away.

You could also try changing the chanel on the router and PC's...

Comment

Originally posted by Orangutan
            Are you running XP ?
            I've had a lot of problems with Wireless Zero Configurator (WZC), which have gone away since I started shutting down WZC once a connection with the router was made.

Previously it would disconnect and reconnect again intermittently.
            But Microshaft claim its working normally !

Same here. I disabled WZC in the end and let the adaptors native connection app do the job and it works fine.

I also found that the wireless TV remote sender we have was causing interferance with the connection and visa versa untill I messed with the senders channel settings and moved the router.
            "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Do you have Mcafee running your wireless security by any chance???

Comment

Yes using XP, and it wasn't using the zero configuration thing, but it now is so we'll see if that does anything different.

The other desktop (that works) is sat right next to it, so it doesn't seem likely that there's any kind of interference. My laptop works flawlessly anywhere in the house.

What I should do is open up both PCs and swap the WiFi cards around and see if that changes things.

I imagine there is a firmware upgrade for the router as I've pretty much ignored it for 3 years.

Comment

Then don't be such a tight arse and get a new one...

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan
                    This one I think:

http://www.maplin.co.uk/module.aspx?...45078&doy=31m5

Windows says:

"Sitecom Wireless Network PCI adapter Turbo G WL-171"
                    I used the same product and had the same problems, its a pile of pooh, gave up in the end and just bought the USB thingy, only get probs sometimes with that.

Comment

Working...
                    X