• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Notice Period

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Notice Period

I am getting alot of calls for new contracts, and one in particular has taken my interest.

However, i am sure i am 4 weeks notice at my current client, and it is doing me no favours whatsoever.

Is there anyway out of this?

Get yourself sacked.

Comment

I believe your knob in a jam donut (as mentioned in another thread somewhere) will get you out of most contractual obligations.
      ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Originally posted by el duder
        I am getting alot of calls for new contracts, and one in particular has taken my interest.

However, i am sure i am 4 weeks notice at my current client, and it is doing me no favours whatsoever.

Impersonate someone with an incurable and contageous ailment and offer to leave for the sake of others in the office.

Leprosy is a good one to try but don't fall apart if it doesn't fool them

Comment

Originally posted by Kyajae
          Impersonate someone with an incurable and contageous ailment and offer to leave for the sake of others in the office.

Leprosy is a good one to try but don't fall apart if it doesn't fool them
          thanks for all your useful feedback.

Comment

You're welcome.

More seriously, how do you feel about the client's perception of you? Are they desperate to keep you or not?

Are you in a position to say to the client,

"Look, I've had a better offer - I'm going to give you notice but I would rather just walk, what do you say?"
            ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

well ask a stupid question...

2 options,

1. give notice
              2. ask agency what penalty there is for breaking contract
              Cenedl heb iaith, cenedl heb galon

Comment

How come you are getting a lot of calls, duder? Taken that photo of yourself off of your CV, have you?

My approach is not to hand notice in on a contract unless either the client or agency misbehave. Other people are happy to walk away if something better come along mid-contract.
                Rule #76: No excuses. Play like a champion.

Comment

Originally posted by Moscow Mule
                  You're welcome.

More seriously, how do you feel about the client's perception of you? Are they desperate to keep you or not?

Are you in a position to say to the client,

"Look, I've had a better offer - I'm going to give you notice but I would rather just walk, what do you say?"
                  Clients perception is good. Been here over 6 months already, money is good, i get the feeling i could be offered alot longer if i wish...

However, im working for a 3rd world public sector outfit, and have the opportunity to get back into the private sector, and feel it would do me, my skills, my sanity and my CV a world of good to get out of this backward thinking hole im in now.

Ahem, just needed to get that off my chest.

Comment

Hows the love life going duder?
                    The pope is a tard.

Comment

Working...
                    X