• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Friday Poetry Corner - It was 40 years ago today ...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Friday Poetry Corner - It was 40 years ago today ...

... that Sgt Pruffock taught the band to play
    hes been going in and out of style
    But hes gauranteed to raise a smile
    So let me introduce to you - the one and only CUK's -

Sgt Pruffocks Lonely Hearts Club Band !

I'm fixing a hole where the rain gets in
    and stops my mind from wandering
    where it will go
    I'm filling the cracks that ran though the door
    and kept my mind from wandering
    where it will go

And it really doesn't matter if I'm wrong
    I'm right where I belong
    I'm right where I belong

See the people standing there
    who disagree and never win
    and wonder why they don't get in my door

I'm painting my room in a colorful way,
    and when my mind is wandering
    there I will go

I'm taking my time for a number of things
    that weren't important yesterday
    and I still go

I was in a pub a couple of weeks ago and St Pepper was playing in the background. I had a quick look around the place and I reckoned that there was only one other person that was alive when it came out.

Then I had a horrid thought, some of the other customers parents might not have been alive when it came out either.
    Drivel is my speciality

Comment

It's weird how that album is always considered so influential when the whole psychedelic thing was already about 2 years old by then and was almost completely dead by 1968. You get the occasional record that sounds a bit like a Sgt Pepper track, but it's not as if everyone stopped what they were doing and said, wow, I've got to make music like that from now on. It's The Velvet Underground and Nico, which was recorded in April 1966 and released in March 1967, that should be being celebrated. Didn't sell much at the time, but it's been influencing rock music ever since, far more than Sgt Pepper ever did.

And apart from A Day In The Life the songs on Sgt Pepper really sound... well, a bit rubbish really, especially compared to almost everything else The Beatles did.

Comment

Originally posted by dang65
        It's weird how that album is always considered so influential when the whole psychedelic thing was already about 2 years old by then and was almost completely dead by 1968. You get the occasional record that sounds a bit like a Sgt Pepper track, but it's not as if everyone stopped what they were doing and said, wow, I've got to make music like that from now on. It's The Velvet Underground and Nico, which was recorded in April 1966 and released in March 1967, that should be being celebrated. Didn't sell much at the time, but it's been influencing rock music ever since, far more than Sgt Pepper ever did.

And apart from A Day In The Life the songs on Sgt Pepper really sound... well, a bit rubbish really, especially compared to almost everything else The Beatles did.

Granted that A Day in the Life is superlative - but I also do like
        the dream like Fixing A Hole , the lysergic Lucy in the Sky and Mr Kite , the upbeat Getting Better - the flirtatious Lovely Rita and the mysterious Within You Without you and the lament of Shes Leaving Home.

And I get by - With a Little Help from my friends.

Comment

Being For the Benefit Of Mr Kite is a tune and a half.

...and of course Henry the horse dances the waltz....
          Call the cops

Comment

Beatles= twee, far too twee for me
            The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

Working...
            X