• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

HTML Designer

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HTML Designer

I need a bit of help, from a HTML designer in regards to designing an HTML email template.
    I have spent the last couple of days trying to design a template for a client that can be used to send a bulk email out to registered users of the website, i.e Newsletter.

However, I am coming across stuf that just seem to be beyond my Skills Set, it seems different web based email clients (i.e Yahoo, Hotmail, Google mail, Squirrel mail) do some wierd things to mail as it comes through. Although I have some advanced HTML, CSS skills etc this is not really my forte.
    I was wondering if any of you guys knew of any decent websites where I could get up to speed with designing HTML email templates ?
    threenine.co.uk
    Cultivate, Develop & Sustain Innovation

Email clients tend to be an (inconsistent) law unto themselves when it comes to rendering HTML emails correctly. Your best bet, bizarre as it sounds, is to use font tags, or alternatively CSS inline styles where you can't express what you're trying to do using font tags. Don't even try using a stylesheet - it'll only end in tears.

In terms of web development mindset, forget everything you've learned in the last 7 years about semantics and CSS, and go back to using tables, pixel spacers, exact widths/heights etc.

This should solve the vast majority of issues - if all else fails get back to me with specific problems and I'll see what I can do to help.

Comment

Spare a thought for folks like me who disable HTML display in emails.

1. Provide users with a plain text email option.

2. If you must send out HTML email, make sure that it starts with a sensible message (summary of content, plus link if you insist) in plain text before the HTML stuff. That way, email clients with HTML disabled can see the plain text, but not the rest.
      Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Don't you just love development work, for every two steps you make forward you have to take 3 back to get things to work :-)

The previous developer of the email has used div tags and embedded style sheets to do the mail.

I am going to convert it to tables an inline styles. To see if it resolves my issue. Thanks for the tips guys.
        Last edited by cykophysh39; 4 June 2007, 08:15.
        threenine.co.uk
        Cultivate, Develop & Sustain Innovation

Comment

Working...
        X