• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Agencies getting out of hand?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Agencies getting out of hand?

Has anyone seen this job on Jobserve?

http://www.jobserve.com/W276A942D0BECDB5F.job

Are we being taken for a ride here? Takes a lot of work to earn good money and we lose it to people like this.

What do you think?

-------

Text below in case job disappears from their site:

Are you good at mathematics? Okay, cool. Here's a mathetical problem for you (the kind you would find in a GCSE exam sheet). John is a Telesales Executive selling advertising space for his local newspaper, The Boredom Gazzette, and earns 15k a year. For every advert he sells, he makes about 12p. John suddenly realises after 18 months slogging his heart out, that he should go and work in IT Recruitment. He immediately secures an 18k basic salary with uncapped commission, but probably earning around 40k in his first year. This is the question. Why didn't John go into it recruitment 12 months before now? If you can answer this question, great, let's talk. If you can't. Maybe you should think about going back to school. Joking aside. MINT would love to talk to you. Call ****at MINT on ********, for an informal and confidential chat.

Location London
    Country England
    Rate Up To 18k + Car + 40k OTE

So where can I get a copy of this Boredom Gazette?

Comment

With the increasing burden of needless and often confusing legislation affecting recruitment of ltd co contractors they will need to raise the bar a bit for their phone monkeys. Otherwise it will just be less hassle for us to do the sales job ourselves direct to the client than hold the hand of the feckwit at the other end of the phone throughout the whole process. They aren't up to it anymore and add nothing but cost and hassle. Lots of smaller clients are managing perfectly well without them, I hope the trend moves on up the chain to the bigger customers.

Comment

Originally posted by shoes
        With the increasing burden of needless and often confusing legislation affecting recruitment of ltd co contractors they will need to raise the bar a bit for their phone monkeys. Otherwise it will just be less hassle for us to do the sales job ourselves direct to the client than hold the hand of the feckwit at the other end of the phone throughout the whole process. They aren't up to it anymore and add nothing but cost and hassle. Lots of smaller clients are managing perfectly well without them, I hope the trend moves on up the chain to the bigger customers.

cant agree more, every contract I have had the end client has had nothing but bad words to say about agencies.
        They provide no service. I sometimes think jacking this lark in due to them.
        cant stand the pre-taught lines they spin, the fishing, the lying, the withheld numbers, the "he is away from his desk" when trying to chase them up.
        Hang em all.
        whats the lowest you can do this for?

Comment

Hang them ? Oh that would far, far too quick ...

Comment

Totally agree... IMHO that jobserve post is just the epitome of the entire recruitment industry. I don't think I've ever had a good experience with an agency. They advertise false jobs to get you in their database then when a real job actually comes up they are useless!! Makes you feel you really could do a better job yourself, without having them stuck in the way and taking a big cut of your day rate to do, well nothing really...

I try to avoid them if I can and just try to work direct with clients through word of mouth, although not always easy to find the next job...

I've also worked in a hiring position in the past and the agencies I dealt with then proved just as useless - there must be a better way to do things.

Has anyone had a good experience of these people???

Comment

Working...
            X