• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Gifting money to local school

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gifting money to local school

I have a quick question I would like to gift the local school a small sum of money from my company, what are the tax implications of such a deed, I dont believe that the school would be registered as a charity.

Thanks

If it is a private school it might be registered as a charity, quite a few are. I would check beforehand if i was you

Comment

I *think* you could offer it as sponsorship of a sports team or something, get your co name on the footie shirts or something... speak to an accountant they'd be able to advise.
      "Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny. "

Thomas Jefferson

Comment

I sponsored my old primary school a few years ago. It cost about £250 I think to buy two sets of footy kits for the kids. I declined to put my business name on their shirts but it still went through our company accounts as sponsorship/marketing.

It actually turned out to be a bit embarassing because the headmistress asked if I could drop the cheque in personally so she could say thanks (well I was well up for that, she was rather tasty). When I turned up she had the photographer from the local rag to take a picture and it appeared in the paper the next week.

Didn't get a sh*g either so what a waste of money.

Comment

Originally posted by oxtailsoup
          I sponsored my old primary school a few years ago. It cost about £250 I think to buy two sets of footy kits for the kids. I declined to put my business name on their shirts but it still went through our company accounts as sponsorship/marketing.

It actually turned out to be a bit embarassing because the headmistress asked if I could drop the cheque in personally so she could say thanks (well I was well up for that, she was rather tasty). When I turned up she had the photographer from the local rag to take a picture and it appeared in the paper the next week.

Didn't get a sh*g either so what a waste of money.
          If you had then it would have been a benefit in kind though

Comment

Working...
          X