• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Online payments systems

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Online payments systems

Anyone any knowledge of this.

Looking at this for Plan B and initially going to go with Google Checkout as it is free. Just wanted to know where the liability would lay if a stolen credit card is used. From what I can make out, it lies with me, the retailer.

Any info/advice on other merchant svcs much appreciated.

Originally posted by Clippy
    Anyone any knowledge of this.

Looking at this for Plan B and initially going to go with Google Checkout as it is free. Just wanted to know where the liability would lay if a stolen credit card is used. From what I can make out, it lies with me, the retailer.

Any info/advice on other merchant svcs much appreciated.
    I thought, under the Consumer Credit Act, that it lay with the bank. But maybe I made that up...
    The squint, the cocked eye and clenched first are the cornerstones of all Merseyside communication from birth to grave

Comment

From my experience of WorldPay, the retailer is completely liable: they take back the money and charge you a fee as well.

We used NoChex for UK cards and they did guarantee transactions, but only for UK cards.

That was a couple of years ago so both could have changed.
      Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

You are supposed to be verifying the details yourself before taking money. In the case of google checkout as they are collecting the payee information I would have thought they would be taking liability, but then why do that when they can pass the risky part or taking payments accross to you

Comment

Looks like Google Checkout is a no go, for various reasons.

Can anyone recommend a way to go that is cheap and effective?

Comment

Liability lies with the bank if chip n pin is used. It lies with the retailer if you get them to sign.....

Comment

So what if people give CC details over the phone including the 3 digit security code, I'm not planning on taking payment but I am curious as to how I would stand as a customer, I have never felt comfortable giving these details but when booking things like train tickets over the phone it's often the only way.
              Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

I've just signed up with PayPal's Website Payments Pro - gives a Virtual Terminal for phone/e-mail payments, and all website payments are handled by PayPal in more of a proper merchant manner (eg no redirecting to PayPal's website, and no requirement for customers to have a PayPal account).

Comment

There is also the new 3D secure stuff where you have to register a online password with your card provider. From that point on you will be redirected to a 3D secure site where you have to enter your password during the authorisation of the transaction to verify you are the legitimate card holder.

This only happens if the site you are using subscribes to the 3D secure protection though. I would have though google would do this, that way onus is on the bank again and it is much more secure than just letting any old joe bloggs enter credit card details (admittedly it's only as secure as the users password but an extra level of security is always good).

Comment

Originally posted by IDB
                    I've just signed up with PayPal's Website Payments Pro - gives a Virtual Terminal for phone/e-mail payments, and all website payments are handled by PayPal in more of a proper merchant manner (eg no redirecting to PayPal's website, and no requirement for customers to have a PayPal account).
                    I have a paypal account as well, worst thing is the fee's they charge. Works well enough for the moment, but customer service is beyond a joke.

Comment

Working...
                    X