• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

A Step Too Far

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A Step Too Far

Absent parents shamed on website
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/6725145.stm

Great news for Web Developer contractors. I should imagine the sheer workload of putting up all those details would be a nice little earner for someone.

On a serious note, this is only going to antagonise estranged couples even further. John Hutton's weasley 'get out' is that people (and it wil be overwhelmingly fathers) will only be named and shamed if the partner looking after the kids (overwhelmingly women) asks for it.

In effect, the CSA is saying "We happy to be a weapon for you to name and shame your ex"

It takes no account of the fact that non-payment may actually be due to legitimate disputes over assesment of payments, etc.

As someone who has known and worked with three caring divorced fathers, whose ex's have used access (or the refusal of it) as a weapon against them, who have tried to fight the CSA over extortionate demands for maintenance, and all three who are now deceased through suicide over the sheer stress and hopelesness of it all, this whole new development is not good news for anyone.

Without wanting to appear or sound smug, I thank God I never had kids.

Originally posted by Kyajae
    As someone who has known and worked with three caring divorced fathers, whose ex's have used access (or the refusal of it) as a weapon against them, who have tried to fight the CSA over extortionate demands for maintenance, and all three who are now deceased through suicide over the sheer stress and hopelesness of it all, this whole new development is not good news for anyone.
    Crikey. You serious? I've worked with a few caring divorced fathers who were stressed about access to their children and payments they had to make, but suicide? Three of them? That's heavy.

Comment

Originally posted by Kyajae
      Absent parents shamed on website
      http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/6725145.stm

Great news for Web Developer contractors. I should imagine the sheer workload of putting up all those details would be a nice little earner for someone.

On a serious note, this is only going to antagonise estranged couples even further. John Hutton's weasley 'get out' is that people (and it wil be overwhelmingly fathers) will only be named and shamed if the partner looking after the kids (overwhelmingly women) asks for it.

In effect, the CSA is saying "We happy to be a weapon for you to name and shame your ex"

It takes no account of the fact that non-payment may actually be due to legitimate disputes over assesment of payments, etc.

Without wanting to appear or sound smug, I thank God I never had kids.
      Well done the CSA. Men bring it on themselves. I have put significant effort into being a fathers-4-justice co-ordinator over last 4 years - and have reached conclusion that 90% of men get what they deserve. They would rather nothing changed than something changed and they get no credit. Matt O'Connor is used as a pin cushion. Women run circles round men.

The only reason I stay at f4j is to support Matt O'Connor - will be with him until the end.

Comment

Originally posted by dang65
        Crikey. You serious? I've worked with a few caring divorced fathers who were stressed about access to their children and payments they had to make, but suicide? Three of them? That's heavy.
        Most people have no idea how bad the CSA is. Even if you've always been on the right side of them, like me, they are an utter pain in the arris. How they carry on to people who make mistakes in the paperwork I can easily imagine leading to suicide.
        Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
        threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

no its not three - there have been 67 documented cases with strong links to CSA actions. I have dealt with CSA - even under the old (limited) powers they were nazis. there will be many more suicides unless men stand up for themselves.

Comment

Deadly serious. Over the past 11 years, the count is 3. The last was Nov 2004.

Comment

Working...
            X