• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Legislation - Legislation - Legislation

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Legislation - Legislation - Legislation

The more Laws - the less Freedom

Chinese Proverb

ONE law every three hours has been created during Tony Blair's decade in power - most of it without the full scrutiny of parliament, research published today will reveal.

Over the past ten years, close to 30,000 new laws have been created - an average of 2,685 a year or more than seven a day.

But the Labour government has also increasingly used statutory instruments, rather than acts of parliament, to impose the new flood of legislation.

Some 98 per cent of new laws in the Blair decade were introduced by statutory instrument, allowing less time for debate in parliament than the tabling of a bill.

The revelations - made in a study by legal publisher Sweet & Maxwell - will underline accusations that the Labour government has been obsessed with burdening business with red tape, while weakening parliamentary democracy.

Most of the new laws were created in the areas of employment and criminal law. But the total - which is more than a fifth higher than under the previous ten years of Conservative rule - does not include new laws introduced to abide by European Union regulations.

Len Sealy, a Cambridge University professor of law who carried out the study, said that the EU regulations covered subjects from cross-border insolvency to the importing of bed linen.

"All became law here without our legislators having to lift a finger," he added.

Oliver Heald, the shadow Cabinet Office minister, said making a new law was enough to "grab a cheap headline", but was not the most effective way to run the country.

Meanwhile, a separate study by the Liberal Democrats found that at least 285 English schools are fingerprinting pupils without any government guidance.

The investigation found only a quarter of local education authorities had details about the use of fingerprinting and the government has no idea how many children have their information stored

..and people still keep voting these c**ts back in.

Idiots.
    Call the cops

Comment

Only a fifth higher? That means the part of low red tape was almost as bad?!
      I remember the good old days of this site when people used to moan about serious contractor related issues like house prices and immigration. How times have changed!?

Comment

Originally posted by AlfredJPruffock
        The more Laws - the less Freedom

Chinese Proverb

ONE law every three hours has been created during Tony Blair's decade in power - most of it without the full scrutiny of parliament, research published today will reveal.

Over the past ten years, close to 30,000 new laws have been created - an average of 2,685 a year or more than seven a day.

But the Labour government has also increasingly used statutory instruments, rather than acts of parliament, to impose the new flood of legislation.

Some 98 per cent of new laws in the Blair decade were introduced by statutory instrument, allowing less time for debate in parliament than the tabling of a bill.

The revelations - made in a study by legal publisher Sweet & Maxwell - will underline accusations that the Labour government has been obsessed with burdening business with red tape, while weakening parliamentary democracy.

Most of the new laws were created in the areas of employment and criminal law. But the total - which is more than a fifth higher than under the previous ten years of Conservative rule - does not include new laws introduced to abide by European Union regulations.

Len Sealy, a Cambridge University professor of law who carried out the study, said that the EU regulations covered subjects from cross-border insolvency to the importing of bed linen.

"All became law here without our legislators having to lift a finger," he added.

Oliver Heald, the shadow Cabinet Office minister, said making a new law was enough to "grab a cheap headline", but was not the most effective way to run the country.

Meanwhile, a separate study by the Liberal Democrats found that at least 285 English schools are fingerprinting pupils without any government guidance.

The investigation found only a quarter of local education authorities had details about the use of fingerprinting and the government has no idea how many children have their information stored

If Stalin were still alive, he'd be proud of Blair

Comment

Originally posted by Kyajae
          If Stalin were still alive, he'd be proud of Blair
          'One Death is a tradgedy - a million deaths is a statistic'

Joseph Stalin

Comment

Its not just the laws that make me mad, every day the government releases a new guideline, whenever I decide what’s good or bad for me I manage to keep it to myself and I assume most others do the same I think its called common sense?? But whenever this government spots something that is blindingly obvious to most people in the modern world they have to issue a sodding guideline...
            Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Tony Blair goes to doctor.

T: doctor doctor everytime i look in the mirror i get aroused.
              D: You know why that is dont you Tony?
              T: No, tell me
              D: beacuse your a c***!

Comment

Originally posted by AlfredJPruffock
                'One Death is a tradgedy - a million deaths is a statistic'

Joseph Stalin
                The number of enabling acts passed has been incredible ceding rights of entry to prviate property, interfering with communications etc to a vast range of public and private sector bodies.

Again all without parlimentary approval.

In a country without a clear constitution this is dangerous, dangerous stuff.

Even if you held a relatively benign view of Blairism, it should be apparent that the erosiion of rights and freedoms that took centuries to consolidate is well underway.

Britain was never as free as we sometimes imagine but the boundaries of the state were generally kept in check and challenged. Now the power of the state is growing and is is being challenged less and less.

I often wonder how so many people on here can reconcile their contempt for NL's statism and at the same time seem to demand extensions to the state that would make TB/GB look like full-on libertarians.

Anyway, the door is open for future politicos to do away with whatever bleeding-heart liberal, hand-wringing, PC-goen-mad rights that get in the way of protecting the silent majority/law-abiding/oppressed citizens.
                Last edited by Rantor; 6 June 2007, 12:06.

Comment

Originally posted by young veteran
                  Tony Blair goes to doctor.

T: doctor doctor everytime i look in the mirror i get aroused.
                  D: You know why that is dont you Tony?
                  T: No, tell me
                  D: beacuse your a c***!
                  That joke won’t work for el Gordo, not with his interests.

Wave a nappy in front of him and show him a rocking horse and he’ll cream himself.
                  Drivel is my speciality

Comment

Originally posted by freakydancer
                    ..and people still keep voting these c**ts back in.

Idiots.
                    So the alternatives are?

Comment

Working...
                    X