• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Use of client's equipment ie laptop

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Use of client's equipment ie laptop

My soon-to-be client has told me today that he has organised for me to have a desk (next to him) and a laptop for use on a 9 month assignment. I stated that I'd rather use my own laptop but was told that the company one would be needed to access the network, company email etc.

Obviously this is an IR35 No-No... if I have to use this equipment, is there anyway I could argue to HMRC that it was essential for working on the client site (ie company does not allow contractors to use their own equipment due to security risk.. but I used my own laptop for this project when working offsite etc...)? Has anyone ever argued this case successfully?

cheers

You will very rarely find a large company that lets you put your own IT equipment into thier network The sys admin will normally have a fit at the mere suggestion.

Comment

nowt to do with IR35. It is perfectly sensible that they do this. Have you ever considered security ?

now run along and drop a cup of tea all over it
      Your parents ruin the first half of your life and your kids ruin the second half

Comment

It has no effect on your IR35 status. It is fully accepted that clients may require the use of specific equipment to access their systems, in the same way that they may not allow home working or remote access. While being able to use your own kit is a minor pointer away from IR35, not being able to does not point the other way.
        Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Fantastic feedback - that's put my mind at rest!

cheers

Comment

In that situation I work on my laptop and use the client kit only when I have to (email, network, etc).

One could possibly make a sneaky network bridge with ad-hoc wifi or bluetooth, if one was willing to overlook the rules slightly and depending on network - haven't tried it myself though.

Comment

Has anyone tried P2Ving a client laptop, and running the VM on their own one? On the face, seems a way of ticking an IR35 box while allowing access to client systems.

Comment

Why does it put a tick in the IR35 box ???
                'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by stonecircle View Post
                  Has anyone tried P2Ving a client laptop, and running the VM on their own one? On the face, seems a way of ticking an IR35 box while allowing access to client systems.
                  Seems a good way to get walked off site very quickly, if that's the aim. So a feeble IR35 defence at best but not much use for earnings or the next contract.

What does the client system usage policy say; you know, that text you always ignore when you log on...?
                  Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by stonecircle View Post
                    I did that at one place, then I saw the HW/SW scan report that they do on all their kit, instead of saying 'HP 6400NC' in the machine type it said 'VMware Inc.' - so be careful lol

Comment

Working...
                    X