• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The Cost of 4x4s

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Cost of 4x4s

In the company car park my car, a 1.9 TD is almost in a minority among 4x4s I get a fairly constant 45 to 65 mpg and a top speed of 120 mph I find it an easy drive. If consumables like tires and breaks need changing the cost is minimal.

When I park next to 4x4s I notice increasing is the lack of essential maintenance like near bald tyres and badly scored brake discs. There is the occasional moan in the office from a person who has to fork out hundreds or even 1000s of pounds for maintenance. One guy at work had a new radiator fitted and it cost £1400. On top of that some of them can not afford the fuel.

I went into Kwik-Fit yesterday and got an oil and filter change. While I was there a young chap came in with a BMW 4x4 he asked for the front brake pads to be changed at the bargain price of £70. he then explained that he really need both front and back discs and pads replaced but he can't afford that because the cost is around £600. “I'll drive around with the noise for a few weeks and then I will get the back done” he said.

On motorways more often than not I see 4x4s that have hit other cars or the central barrier, I think poor maintenance has a lot to do with these accidents.

If you have a nice 4x4 and you maintain it well and you live just off a dirt track road, good luck to you.

If you have a nice 4x4 and you feeling the pinch and don't maintain it well and you live in the town; you are a dangerous smuck and you have a mental problem as why you need to be seen driving one of these.
    "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Originally posted by Paddy
    On motorways more often than not I see 4x4s that have hit other cars or the central barrier, I think poor maintenance has a lot to do with these accidents.

If you have a nice 4x4 and you maintain it well and you live just off a dirt track road, good luck to you.

If you have a nice 4x4 and you feeling the pinch and don't maintain it well and you live in the town; you are a dangerous smuck and you have a mental problem as why you need to be seen driving one of these.
    Nothing to do with bad driving then? I hardly ever see 4x4's that have hit the barrier...I drive a 4x4, don't live near a dirt track, get crappy MPG but I love it. It is huge, I can get all of my fishing gear and a mountain bike IN it.

I find your generalisation of 4x4's slightly annoying. Not all 4x4 owners give their trucks so little attention.

So on your point of living in town, what name do you have for owners of small diesel cars that do not service them regulary? Are they also dangerous smucks?

And I guess that small diesel cars are never involved in accidents......

Comment

Interesting point, hadn't thought of that.

I do think that we should recognise that 4x4 Urban Assault Vehicles are here to stay, and work to fit them in to our towns safely. Such as:
      - special parking area in car parks (at the far corner, other areas out of bounds). It's too dangerous having to reverse a normal car out from beside one of them, with no visibility (if you can even get your door open).
      - no access to narrow streets.
      - no street parking in confined spaces.
      - advanced driving test needed. How many mums have you seen who can't even hold the truck in a straight line while attending to little ones on school run? No need for them to worry, they won't be the ones to get crippled in a collision.
      God made men. Sam Colt made them equal.

Comment

Originally posted by Euro-commuter
        advanced driving test needed. How many mums have you seen who can't even hold the truck in a straight line while attending to little ones on school run? No need for them to worry, they won't be the ones to get crippled in a collision.
        The problem is with female drivers, not 4x4's, they would be the same in a Volvo or people carrier
        How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

If you wanted to restrict 4x4s then you could place width restrictions on residential streets. THey have to be over 6' 6" the standard width restriction.

Alas the council only hunt us truckers.

My mantra is:

See a 4x4 worry
          See a woman driving a 4x4 panic

Although the main thing I hate on the roads are horseboxes. Driven by women on grandfathers rights with no clue about how to handle a vehicle, do pre trip checks or the slightest about air brakes.

Comment

More often than not the people that complain about 4x4's are the loony left wing vegetarian communist tree hugging section of society....

Comment

Some of my cars have 4 wd. Cost a packet to maintain, but they're worth it.
              Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
              threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Originally posted by threaded
                Some of my cars have 4 wd. Cost a packet to maintain, but they're worth it.
                Are all 4wd vehicles suffering the increases in vehicle tax or is it just the behemoths?

Subaru used to make a Justy (terrible little car with 4wd) and there used to be a Panda 4x4, hardly in the same league as a V8 X5 are they?

Comment

Hearing people who drive cars themselves moaning about 4x4s is like hearing a regular smoker moaning when someone lights up a cigar.

Comment

In other words you cant afford one and that upsets you
                    Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Working...
                    X