• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Crank, Hoax, Cruel Joke or Hope?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Crank, Hoax, Cruel Joke or Hope?

Mystery Call Sparks New Madeleine Lead
    http://news.sky.com/skynews/article/...269394,00.html

Originally posted by Kyajae
    Mystery Call Sparks New Madeleine Lead
    http://news.sky.com/skynews/article/...269394,00.html

Whos funding this merry go round for the McCanns?

The British Embassy? i.e The Government? i.e The Tax Payer?

Comment

They revealed they had been asked to draw up a new flight plan involving a possible change from Amsterdam to East Midlands Airport.

It was thought the McCanns might need to go back to the UK to talk to advisers about the call.

Ransom? They do have a rather large 'fighting fund'.
      Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Originally posted by el duder
        Whos funding this merry go round for the McCanns?

The British Embassy? i.e The Government? i.e The Tax Payer?
        I believe that a "fund" has been set up which the general public have been donating towards, my guess is that most of the money comes from this.

As regards the British Embassy - looking after UK citizens in foreign countries is what they do isn't it ?
        Cenedl heb iaith, cenedl heb galon

Comment

Originally posted by Bluebird
          As regards the British Embassy - looking after UK citizens in foreign countries is what they do isn't it ?
          No. They are there to look after British interests, not to bail out members of the public.

Comment

Originally posted by PRC1964
            No. They are there to look after British interests, not to bail out members of the public.
            So members of the British public are not of interest?
            Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

from the Foreign Office Website.........

FCO Consular Services

Our consular service is a major operation. Every hour of every day staff throughout our worldwide network of Embassies, High Commissions and Consulates are helping British nationals. It is one of the most important parts of the Government's foreign policy.

During the 2003-04 financial year British nationals made over 60 million trips abroad. Our 1,800 Consular staff helped over 87,000 British travellers and issued over 455,000 passports.
              Cenedl heb iaith, cenedl heb galon

Comment

It could be that the kidnappers realise that with all the publicity, the child is too hot and are looking to cash in on the reward offered (best case)

Or it could just be a crank
                How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

Originally posted by Bluebird
                  FCO Consular Services

Our consular service is a major operation. Every hour of every day staff throughout our worldwide network of Embassies, High Commissions and Consulates are helping British nationals. It is one of the most important parts of the Government's foreign policy.

During the 2003-04 financial year British nationals made over 60 million trips abroad. Our 1,800 Consular staff helped over 87,000 British travellers and issued over 455,000 passports.
                  Yes, they do issue passports and pass on Foriegn Office information leaflets. However, try asking them for some cash to get you back to Britain and you'll be politely shown the door. The most they will do (quite rightly) is to help you make contact with someone in the UK who will pay for you.

Anyway, 87,000 people helped out of a total of 60 million trips is hardly a lot.

Comment

Yes, they do issue passports and pass on Foriegn Office information leaflets. However, try asking them for some cash to get you back to Britain and you'll be politely shown the door. The most they will do (quite rightly) is to help you make contact with someone in the UK who will pay for you.

Anyway, 87,000 people helped out of a total of 60 million trips is hardly a lot.
                    It's staffed by civil servants, FFS, they're not there to be helpful or provide a service.

Comment

Working...
                    X