• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Looking to hire a couple of grads with no IT experience

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looking to hire a couple of grads with no IT experience

A little off topic. But I'm looking for ideas for places where I can find graduates who have a recent IT related degree but no IT experience. I employ them myself for a couple of months for a pittance, then sell them on to a company that is looking for people "with experience" thus making myself a good profit.

I have the client. But I now need the graduates.

Two ideas I have at the moment: The "MCSE boot camp" schools - they are always looking for employers so that they can claim to prospective students that they can get placements into jobs.

Secondly the notice board at the local Tescos. That's where unemployed graduates look.

We were all recent graduates once (well apart from some of you who were hired directly into Logica, McKinsey or a big bank, but I digress) so it is also nice to be able to give folk a bit of a leg up (not to mention a leg over if she is female).

Thanks

I think the likes of Accenture, EDS, Capita et al have beaten you to that idea.
    Guy Fawkes - "The last man to enter Parliament with honourable intentions."

Comment

Approach loacal College / University

They are always looking for summer / starter placements.

Cost needn't be much.

Not all of us were like that 'taught to a degree', Pah some of us know what we are doing. I was playing with computers when these young whipper snappers were getting their botty wiped. remember punched cards, cpm and the days before pointy clicky interfaces........
      Last edited by vetran; 7 June 2007, 20:58.
      Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by KentPhilip
        A little off topic. But I'm looking for ideas for places where I can find graduates who have a recent IT related degree but no IT experience. I employ them myself for a couple of months for a pittance, then sell them on to a company that is looking for people "with experience" thus making myself a good profit.

Two ideas I have at the moment: The "MCSE boot camp" schools - they are always looking for employers so that they can claim to prospective students that they can get placements into jobs.

Secondly the notice board at the local Tescos. That's where unemployed graduates look.

We were all recent graduates once (well apart from some of you who were hired directly into Logica, McKinsey or a big bank, but I digress) so it is also nice to be able to give folk a bit of a leg up (not to mention a leg over if she is female).

Thanks
        What happened to your SQL DBA 'pimping' idea?

Comment

Look Mr. Clark Kent, or whatever you're called, why not cut to the chase and become a fully-fledged pimp? Ask Dodgy for ideas.
          Hard Brexit now!
          #prayfornodeal

Comment

[QUOTE=KentPhilip]A little off topic. But I'm looking for ideas for places where I can find graduates who have a recent IT related degree but no IT experience. I employ them myself for a couple of months for a pittance, then sell them on to a company that is looking for people "with experience" thus making myself a good profit.

Where do I start?

1. I graduated in 1993 into a very tough labour market and didn't work for nine months but I never, ever, once looked for work on the notice board at Tesco. In my second year in university I was skint to I took an evening job at the nearby Tesco, and there is no way I would touch anything that appeared on the notice board there.

2. You can't be "off topic" if you have started the thread.

OK. That is not at all constructive but I hth.

Comment

Here's a mad idea:

maybe look via the careers services of the universities nearest to your client.

Comment

Vetran: I agree with you. These days having a degree is no more than a glorified intelligence test. I'm sure there are many non-graduates who could do this job with their eyes shut. But punched cards even I don't go back that far. Wasn't the Magna carta printed on them? :-)

Clippy: My SQL DBA pimping idea is still on the cards. But the requirement in this thread is a new one. With the latest round of redundancies in my company half the support team has got the willies and up-sticks and left, leaving them rather short staffed. So I said to the soon-to-be-ex-boss that I have a cunning plan to replace them, which is this.

After all most support jobs can be done by monkeys, so perhaps recent graduates might be up to the task?

Sasguru: I could become a pimp I suppose. Trouble is I'd spend too much time sampling the merchandise, so they would never get out and work.

Gonzo: I'm not saying that recent graduates look at Tesco job board for jobs. But if they are looking for work they might be poor (I was) and look at Tesco boards for other things and then see my job.
                Where do graduates who have been on the dole for a few months out of college look where I could advertise?

Comment

Try asking any of the chuggers. Half of them will be IT grads who can't find a job.
                  It's my opinion and I'm entitled to it. www.areyoupopular.mobi

Comment

Originally posted by KentPhilip
                    Vetran: I agree with you. These days having a degree is no more than a glorified intelligence test. I'm sure there are many non-graduates who could do this job with their eyes shut. But punched cards even I don't go back that far. Wasn't the Magna carta printed on them? :-)

Clippy: My SQL DBA pimping idea is still on the cards. But the requirement in this thread is a new one. With the latest round of redundancies in my company half the support team has got the willies and up-sticks and left, leaving them rather short staffed. So I said to the soon-to-be-ex-boss that I have a cunning plan to replace them, which is this.

After all most support jobs can be done by monkeys, so perhaps recent graduates might be up to the task?

Sasguru: I could become a pimp I suppose. Trouble is I'd spend too much time sampling the merchandise, so they would never get out and work.

Gonzo: I'm not saying that recent graduates look at Tesco job board for jobs. But if they are looking for work they might be poor (I was) and look at Tesco boards for other things and then see my job.
                    Where do graduates who have been on the dole for a few months out of college look where I could advertise?
                    I know a lot of 'ex-support monkeys' as you put it who are now Service Delivery Managers/Directors, Infrastructure Consultants etc - everyone has to start somewhere.

If that's how you view potential candidates, perhaps you should stick to what you know - which doesn't seem to be too much!

Comment

Working...
                    X