• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Very Wierd GP Occurance

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Very Wierd GP Occurance

Just been handed a laptop that orignally was attached a domain. The local security policy has been ammended by the domain group policy which we need to get rid of s it's now going to be used as stand-alone.

I've joined the laptop to a fictitious Workgroup but the local security policy settings are still greyed out as if Domain GP is still active. Rebooted twice but the same symptoms occur. This method of getting rid of domain GP has worked in the past but not this time.

I'm beginning to think this is a windows corruption. Anyone else come across this behaviour and found a solution. Any advice?

Cheers

Easiest and quickest would be just re-image it. You could spend ages trying to work out what's wrong and if it is corrupt (as you suspect) it's going to need to be re-imaged anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by Ardesco
      Easiest and quickest would be just re-image it. You could spend ages trying to work out what's wrong and if it is corrupt (as you suspect) it's going to need to be re-imaged anyway.
      This is what I thought, although actually we don't do images, we run RIS and in time old fashion, the RIS server is playing silly buggers at the moment. but thanks anyway.

Comment

Glad to se someone else has the slash 'n' burn mentality! 90% of the jobs I do involve reimage or a new profile.
        Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Originally posted by gingerjedi
          Glad to se someone else has the slash 'n' burn mentality! 90% of the jobs I do involve reimage or a new profile.

And very valuable we Sys Engs/Admins/Tech Support people are to. Can't undertand why coder crunchers always look down their noses at us. If we didn't keep the infrastructure running, they'd have nothing to run their code on.

I guess some people think they are more vlauable than others in the IT game

Comment

Originally posted by gingerjedi
            I've spent a fair bit of time setting up test labs and slash and burn is the only sensible way to go

You never know what has been on a test machine so just assume it's a virus ridden unsecure POS that needs to be built from scratch

Comment

Just think of Microsoft Windows in the same was as a dirty little un-house-trained dog that keeps having a poo around the house. At one point its not worth cleaning the carpet and furniture so you just throw them out and start again.
              "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy
                Just think of Microsoft Windows in the same was as a dirty little un-house-trained dog that keeps having a poo around the house. At one point its not worth cleaning the carpet and furniture so you just throw them out and start again.
                I like that analogy

Comment

Originally posted by Kyajae
                  Just been handed a laptop that orignally was attached a domain. The local security policy has been ammended by the domain group policy which we need to get rid of s it's now going to be used as stand-alone.

I've joined the laptop to a fictitious Workgroup but the local security policy settings are still greyed out as if Domain GP is still active. Rebooted twice but the same symptoms occur. This method of getting rid of domain GP has worked in the past but not this time.

I'm beginning to think this is a windows corruption. Anyone else come across this behaviour and found a solution. Any advice?

Cheers
                  If you have spent more than 8 hrs trying to sort that Laptop, it must be a very expensive one? or you are working for a very low wage!
                  Re-Image it into a bin liner and tell them get a new one.

Ps if it's the latter, wan a job?

"Under Water Nobody can hear you scream"
                  Confusion is a natural state of being

Comment

Originally posted by Kyajae
                    I guess some people think they are more vlauable than others in the IT game
                    This is not the first time you've mentioned this; do you have a complex?

Comment

Working...
                    X