• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

So What Came First?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So What Came First?

The hardware or the code?

Do certain individuals on this forum believe so much in their own self-appointed superiority becuase they code more than support the kit needed to run the code on? Do they think there is some kind of 'food chain' in the IT sector?

Does IT need such arrogance that peddles a myth that certain types of people who work in IT are superior on the basis of what they can do instead of the range and value of skils they bring to the industry?

Discuss.

I don't code or support, so I'm a little bit in awe of both groups's technical skills. But I like to watch you guys tear into each other. I'll get my popcorn, sit back and enjoy the show

Comment

Originally posted by Kyajae
      The hardware or the code?

Do certain individuals on this forum believe so much in their own self-appointed superiority becuase they code more than support the kit needed to run the code on? Do they think there is some kind of 'food chain' in the IT sector?

Does IT need such arrogance that peddles a myth that certain types of people who work in IT are superior on the basis of what they can do instead of the range and value of skils they bring to the industry?

Discuss.
      They let support staff on here?

Comment

the egg

Comment

him !
          Your parents ruin the first half of your life and your kids ruin the second half

Comment

My best mate is a coder and I do support, we never talk about work as neither of us understand what the other does but I'm the one who has to give up my Saturday morning whenever he buy's a new bit of kit.
            Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

There is a food chain. It depends on how much value you add and what industry you're in. Given that most of us are in business IT it would go like this:

Hardware support monkeys -> Coding chimpanzees -> Business Analyst Gorillas -> Strategic Business Management Homo Sapiens.
              Hard Brexit now!
              #prayfornodeal

Comment

Tsk tsk,
                This conversation is sooo 20th Century.

The answer is that as configuration items of a Service, they're both important.

Service Management is what it's all about guys...

Cojak - named in a ITIL V3 book....
                "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
                - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by Kyajae
                  I don't think people feel superior because of what they do. I think they feel superior because they get paid more than other people. Generally speaking, management get paid more than developers, and developers get paid more than support monkeys.

Quite how justified this feeling of superiority is, I'm not sure.

Comment

There is a quick and easy way to find out how important you are in the scheme of things. If the company was taken over by another (similar) one, so there was a duplication of functions, would they keep you on?
                    Either your value-added is worth it or you're redundant.
                    It's lucky that most companies operate at inefficient levels. In any one year they could sack 25% of staff with no impact to the business.
                    Hard Brexit now!
                    #prayfornodeal

Comment

Working...
                    X