• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

What's the Tory stance on IR35 etc?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What's the Tory stance on IR35 etc?

Just been reading about Proposed tory tax reforms for small businesses on PCG saying things like:

"We want small businesses to focus on creating wealth and not have to battle through the Government's complex system of rules and reliefs.
    Does anyone know how they approach things like IR35 and challenging expense claims 4 years after they've accepted them? I know the tory party is more about making money that NL and I'd hope that financially they are a a lot more competent than El Gordo.

But then if they get into power there will always be the issue of whoever's in office there always seems to be issues with balancing the books so maybe they'll keep on.

They promised to abolish IR35 in 2001 - are they sticking to that for the next election?

http://www.pcg.org.uk/cms/index.php?...201&Itemid=297
    "Is someone you don't like allowed to say something you don't like? If that is the case then we have free speech."- Elon Musk

I full expect that the Tories will dump on contractors just as bad as nuLieBore. The IR35 will remain. If ever they back into power they will have bribes for allowing work permits waved under the noses and they will carry on allowing them too.
    Drivel is my speciality

Comment

Originally posted by Jog On
      Just been reading about Proposed tory tax reforms for small businesses on PCG saying things like:

Does anyone know how they approach things like IR35 and challenging expense claims 4 years after they've accepted them? I know the tory party is more about making money that NL and I'd hope that financially they are a a lot more competent than El Gordo.

But then if they get into power there will always be the issue of whoever's in office there always seems to be issues with balancing the books so maybe they'll keep on.

They promised to abolish IR35 in 2001 - are they sticking to that for the next election?

http://www.pcg.org.uk/cms/index.php?...201&Itemid=297

Who knows that the feck the Torys think on anything! The recent debacle over grammar schools has undermined Cameron and his ratings with the public. If the rot like this continues, Brown will, I reckon, call a snap election to legitimise his coronation as PM.

I don't knkow if anyone saw Andrew Neil interviewing Ken Clarke on Hard Talk on BBC News 24 this weekend. I think even Ken Clarke realises the potential damage the grammar school rift is causing.

Blair's 'sofa style' of decision making with his inner circle and the pushing through of new laws as statutory instruments as opposed to proper legislative bills, has wrecked British politics.

What the Tory's need to focus on is bringing back the power of parliament to scrutinise and debate new laws and for Cabinit to have a more collective say in matters. This, I think, will begin to repair a lot of the public's despair with politics and polticians.

Your question, Jog On, is absolutely right to ask but I fear that other matters will occupy the political agernda for some time to come.

PS - Let's not forget that every tax-and-spend labour governemnt has left office with public finances in a mess. Thatcher encountered the same in 1979 and for the first 2 years, taxes increased to bring down the Public Sector Borrowing Requirement. Whoever takes over this time has their work cut out and it will mean only more pain until the mess is sorted out. Expect no tax cuts, possibly more.
      Last edited by Kyajae; 10 June 2007, 11:26.

Comment

Doomed!

So, we are all doomed.

As we are all small businesses where in the world is the best place to relocate to? There was an article a while back on the bbc news that states that the most competitive economies are:

Switzerland
        Finland
        Sweden
        Denmark
        Singapore

The link is here : http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/5381428.stm

Which one would be the best to move to?

As an aside, it looks like the UK is becoming an increasingly unpromising location for its local IT experts to be based. Which of the above would be the best to look for work in?

Comment

I vote Stockholm - as you can see the comparison to one of our fine cities (Newcastle) shows some stark comparisons!
          "Is someone you don't like allowed to say something you don't like? If that is the case then we have free speech."- Elon Musk

Comment

A party's "stance" on anything like this is totally meaningless, while IR35 was being developed and then unleashed Labour was touting it's self as the party for small business, hell afaik they still say IR35 is good for small business

What counts is what they do the rest is all just (false) marketing to get people to buy their product, i.e. vote for them

Comment

Originally posted by Kyajae
              I don't knkow if anyone saw Andrew Neil interviewing Ken Clarke on Hard Talk on BBC News 24 this weekend.
              dont be silly. no-one watches me

Comment

All governments are scum. What's the difference?
                bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
                John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Working...
                X